Will the new iPad 9.7" (2017 ver.) fit properly in any other iPad cases without causing and problems?
So I just ordered one of the new (horrifically ill-named) 9.7" iPads, and am now kind of regretting it because it seems like it'll be kind of difficult to find a decent case. I am aware of Apple's "cover," but it is exactly the kind of case I do not want--thin, flimsy, with no rigid frame.
So there are a few third party cases on Amazon and elsewhere for the new 9.7" I could fall back on, but some of the more appealing cases are for other models. For example, would the regular 9.7" iPad fit inside a case for the 9.7" iPad Pro--without the plastic frame covering up any important ports or speakers, while still being able to use the magnetic thingamajig to wake/sleep the tablet?
6 Answers from the Community
I had the iPad Air and the smart cover, I Just traded my Air for the new 2017 iPad. To my surprise, the old Air smart cover fits/works perfectly for the new iPad.
So don't worry if you had the 1st Gen iPad Air smart cover it will fit with this new 2017 iPad
- Answered by Chikin S from Taunton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I just received one today that I ordered online. It is by Fintie. It comes in a multitude of colors and designs, fits perfectly and has the sleep/wake feature. I love it. It said it was for new iPad 2017. Inexpensive too.
- Answered by Patti B from Coto De Caza
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I just purchased my iPad 9.7 (2017) and have already been through chase of buying cases and retuning them.
Life proof case: does not fit, too thick and camera does not line up in the back.
Pelican: does fit, although not such a great case, exposed face even with protected glass shield purchased separately and horrible stand.
Targus: good case, solid outer frame with fold over cover, has grip for your choice of angle, good access for camera and ports.
This is the case in currently using, still waiting for life proof to come out with proper case to fit iPad 9.7
- Answered by Katia H from Bellaire
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
No the new iPad 2017 version is a new size it is thicker than the air 2. it is closer to the original iPad air, but you will need a new case
- Answered by Patrick D from Radnor
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
I had the same issue as well!
'Had to return two cover/keyboards that I purchased back.
Unfortunately no any other cover will fit the Ipad 9.7 - make sure you will not buy the Pro or the Air covers, since the width and the depth is different.
- Answered by Roza M from London
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
I just bought the targus versa type 4 in 1 keyboard case and my 2017 iPad fit. I tried it in the store before I purchased. Just thought I'd add to the conversation bc I looked at this thread while in the store (Office Depot) trying to see if items listed for the iPad Pro 9.7 would work (which particular case was labeled for).
- Answered by Keiva L B from Southfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Silicon case for 9.7 ipad specifications
- Asked by Neal P from Orem
- Flag as inappropriate (Silicon case for 9.7 ipad specifications)
- Asked about: Silicone Case for 9.7-inch iPad Pro…
No answers yet
will apple pencil work with iPad pro 9.7
- Asked by Robert B from Palatine
- Flag as inappropriate (will apple pencil work with iPad pro 9.7)
- Asked about: Apple Pencil for iPad Pro