Not sure if this is possible but i want to know if I could use this adapter to transfer a signal from my Tivo box to my iMac with retina display ?
I am in need of buying a new iMac and a new TV for my home office that doubles as a guess room during the holidays. This got me thinking if it is possible kill two birds with one stone by using the iMac as a TV screen. Is this even possible or would i need to bit the bullet on this and just buy both.
If the Moshi mini can transfer video to the TV can it also receive video from cable box like TiVo and display it on the Computer screen. Even if the video was not displayed across the entire screen but had black bars i would be OK with that. This would allow me to justify getting the 27 inch iMac with retina display and max out my configuration as i would no longer need to get a new 32 inch TV as i was planning.
If anyone has any experience or has done this please let me know.
1 Answer from the Community
the iMac 27" (without retina display) can be used as an input, but it requires restarting the mac into whats called target display mode, for more info open the apple support page (support.apple.com) and search for target display mode
- Answered by Pat R
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have a 3-year old iMac (pre-Retina display). can I connect my cable box via HDMI to a Firewire in order to use my iMac display as a substitute TV?
- Asked by Dennis C from Cambridge
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a 3-year old iMac (pre-Retina display). can I connect my cable box via HDMI to a Firewire in order to use my iMac display as a substitute TV?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
can I use the imac as a display for a PC
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use the imac as a display for a PC)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter