Can i use this to connect a Thunderbolt hard drive to a Computer's USB port?
In other words, Will this adaptor work the other way around ?
I have a thunderbolt-only External hard drive and want to connect it to a computer that doesn't have a thunderbolt port... will this work?
- Asked by Muhannad M from Bankstown
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this to connect a Thunderbolt hard drive to a Computer's USB port?)
2 Answers from the Community
No. Thunderbolt signals can only come from a computer or another thunderbolt device connected to a computer.
You can remove the hard drive from the Thunderbolt external hard drive, and place it in a hard drive enclosure that has a USB port.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
NO it cannot...
This device connects to a Mac's Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port (same connector as Mini Display Port) and adds a Gigabit Ethernet Port + a USB 3.0 Port to the Mac via its Thunderbolt (version 1 or 2) port...
You cannot add Thunderbolt connectivity nor USB 3 to a pre 2011 Mac mini...
You can add USB 3 to a 2011 Mac mini via the mini's built-in Thunderbolt port using this device or similar, and all 2012 or later Mac mini's have both Thunderbolt and USB 3 built-in...
Hope this helps...
- Answered by Robb B from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?
- Asked by Mark W from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…
can I connect a hard drive to the usb port
- Asked by Nicholas P from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect a hard drive to the usb port)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Camera Adapter