Does this adapter work okay to connect a monitor to an iMac with OS Sierra?
- Asked by Guy H S from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work okay to connect a monitor to an iMac with OS Sierra?)
3 Answers from the Community
Yes, if you have one of the latest iMacs.
• The latest iMacs (2017 onwards) have Thunderbolt 3 ports, which can accept the USB-C plug.
• I believe most older iMacs have Thunderbolt 2 ports (which are a different shape and hence will not work) and a Mini DisplayPort. You can get an Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA adaptor if you have one of these iMacs.
I have just purchased Belkin's black version of this product and it works perfectly with a 2017 iMac. It plugs into the Thunderbolt port on the iMac and works exactly as expected. The Displays panel in preferences allows you to select whether you want to mirror the iMac or use the extra monitor as a second screen.
- Answered by Richard F
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The new iMacs (Late 2017) have two Thunderbolt ports that are also USB-C ports.
OS Sierra and/or OS High Sierra is not the problem, imo. The problem is, is this a real monitor than extends your desktop or just a MIRROR of what's on the original, main screen?
Problem #2 is disputes and questions about these new Thunderbolt ports. They connect to other Thunderbolts ports a-ok but I've heard problems when like trying to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and then connect that to a monitor; that doesn't work (I believe).
- Answered by Barry K from Show Low
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
No the iMacs have the old style USB ports not the new usb C, you will want an adapter that connects to the thunderbolt port on your computer
all the best
- Answered by James C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
How to make the USB-C VGA Multipart Adapter work on MacBook 2015
- Asked by Israel P from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (How to make the USB-C VGA Multipart Adapter work on MacBook 2015)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
Is this the right adapter to connect an iMac 27" with another Apple monitor for dual screen work?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the right adapter to connect an iMac 27" with another Apple monitor for dual screen work?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…