Does this device need to be dedicated to time machine backups or could it also be used at the same time for general Storage?
does it need to be specific to time time Machine Backs or could it have double use (time machine backups and normal storage)?
1 Answer from the Community
I've done this for several years now, with no problem, with the 2TB version and with La Cie's larger desktop 4TB models that I got a while ago. However, be aware that your time machine backups will expand to fill the space available for them, which may constrain how much data room you have unless you decide to store a limited number of files on the device before you start storing time machine backups. Once the drive is nearly filled with whatever combination of general storage and time machine backups is on it at that point, Time Machine will keep adding new backups but deleting the old ones, and you won't have much if any space for new general storage files on the drive.
- Answered by R Edward O from Ottawa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
does it also work as a storage, ... or it only use for back-up.?
- Asked by Natthawat T from Petaling Jaya Selangor Malaysia
- Flag as inappropriate (does it also work as a storage, ... or it only use for back-up.?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Can I run Time Machine backups with this device?
- Asked by Gianna O from Kansasville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I run Time Machine backups with this device?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE mobile USB…