The new MacBook Pro 15" comes with an 87W power adaptor, but this monitor only provides "up to 60W". Will the MBPro charge and operate correctly?
The general consensus of people I've talked to recommend against long-term operation of a MacBook Pro with a "less than stock" power supply. That is, people say you can damage a MacBook Pro 15 using the power supply for a MacBook Air, for example.
So can you just plug the USB-C connector from this display into the new MacBook Pro 15 as a single-plug "dock", or do you need to plug in the MacBook Pro's power supply as well?
2 Answers from the Community
I use it with a 15" MacBook Pro and it charges fine. The only difference is in the time it takes to charge the MacBook if it's discharged when connecting it. There's no reason at all you can't use the lower wattage without damaging your battery. Exactly the same as you can use lower wattage adapters for iPads for example, it just charges slower.
- Answered by Jeff N
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It will charge it but just a bit more slowly than the built-in 87W power adapter, much like a 60W adapter would still charge an older generation Retina MacBook Pro that used an 85W adapter. In my experience it's not a huge difference. If you really need the extra juice, you can always plug in the charger on a different port, but you lose the convenience of connecting only the one cable.
- Answered by Gerry F from West Palm Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does the adaptor passthrough the 87w required to properly charge the 15" Macbook Pro (Late 2016)
- Asked by Martin A from Preston
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the adaptor passthrough the 87w required to properly charge the 15" Macbook Pro (Late 2016))
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Will this work for the 87W USB-C chargers as well?
- Asked by Jordan S from Battle Creek
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work for the 87W USB-C chargers as well?)
- Asked about: Power Adapter Extension Cable
Same cable that ships with 15" Macbook Pro?
- Asked by Anson M from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate (Same cable that ships with 15" Macbook Pro?)
- Asked about: USB-C Charge Cable (2m)