Can 2 of these monitors be used with the 13 Inch 2017 Macbook Pro without touch-bar?
The Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2017 model without touch-bar only has two thunderbolt 3 ports. Can I run two of these displays at native 5k? This will use up both the ports on the Macbook, but I would have effectively gained 6 USB-C ports from the displays. Is this correct? And which of the displays would drive power to the Macbook?
3 Answers from the Community
Yes, I think so. I connect two to my 15” MacBook Pro, using 2 of the 4 ports. When I connect both to the same side, the MBP overheats, but when I connect one monitor to each side, no problem.
- Answered by Kym B from Tampa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) by itself can only support one LG UltraFine 5K at 5120x2880 at 60Hz. I don't know if macOS will let you connect two of these displays at 4K resolution. Use an eGPU like the Blackmagic eGPU to connect another LG UltraFine 5K Display.
You can connect a Thunderbolt dock to add more USB ports. You can connect an LG UltraFine 5K to the Thunderbolt 3 dock.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
You can run two. Thats how mine is set-up so I essentially have 3 screens. Not sure which one powers it but it stays charged at all times. I cannot answer the port question though... I have my own questions on the ports as I cannot get Time Machine to operate on my external hard drive through any of the ports through the monitors.
- Answered by Trey E from Evans
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Will this charge a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar?
- Asked by Jonathan B from Cheltenham
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this charge a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar?)
- Asked about: 30W USB-C Power Adapter
Macbook 12-inch or MacBook Pro 13-inch (Without Touch Bar) for a year 12 student and, in the future, a university student?
- Asked by Melisa D from Sydney
- Flag as inappropriate (Macbook 12-inch or MacBook Pro 13-inch (Without Touch Bar) for a year 12 student and, in the future, a university student?)
- Asked about: Mac
will this fit in my macbook pro 13inch
- Asked by Toni F from Caloundra
- Flag as inappropriate (will this fit in my macbook pro 13inch)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter