What's the best way to mount an external harddrive to the back of the LG UltraFine 5K Display?
We are used to the awesome Apple Thunderbolt displays where it has a special bracket for mounting hard drives to the back of the display, but I can't find anything suitable for the new LG displays.
1 Answer from the Community
Originally I mounted the Samsung T1 SSD drive to the back of the monitor (Pre-Wifi Issue Fix). I used 3M velcro adhesive to keep it mounted. However, a few problems occurred with this setup. Whenever the monitor went to sleep (from a screensaver or just the timer set to turn off the display), it would kill the USB hub connection as well, even if the computer was still on.
It looks like when the monitors go to sleep, the portion of the circuits that supply power is also cut out. When I connected another external hard drive that had its own external power source, I still maintained a data connection, even when the monitor turned back. I would be careful then on what type of drive you connect to it. If it depends on the USB-C port for both power and data, then you'll probably hit the same issues I saw.
- Answered by Michael C from Quincy
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is this compatible with the 5k LG UltraFine display?
- Asked by Drew F from Arvada
- Apr. 5, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this compatible with the 5k LG UltraFine display?)
- Asked about: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon R…
Will this work with the LG Ultra fine display?
- Asked by Mitchell E from Houston
- Nov. 2, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with the LG Ultra fine display?)
- Asked about: USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapt…
Does this work with the LG UltraFine 4K display over USB-C?
- Asked by Jeremy F from San Francisco
- Jul. 12, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with the LG UltraFine 4K display over USB-C?)
- Asked about: Blackmagic eGPU