Does this provide acceleration to the internal display? Or does it only accelerate an external display? Do you need an external display?
2 Answers from the Community
No. It "accelerates" external displays only. Of course, you do not need an external display if you are using an eGPU solely for computationally intensive tasks such as rendering and have software that supports such acceleration, such as DaVinci Resolve.
- Answered by Matthew R from Santa Fe
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I think it works with internal display and does not require external display judging from this from blackmagic design website:
"Built on revolutionary 40Gb/s Thunderbolt 3 technology, the Blackmagic eGPU connects to your computer using a single cable for both power and data. The incredible speed of Thunderbolt 3 makes it possible to transfer massive amounts of data from the computer to the Blackmagic eGPU for image processing and acceleration. "
"The Blackmagic eGPU is always ready for use, simply by plugging in the Thunderbolt 3 cable."
- Answered by Waikit T from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is it possible to use for multiple external displays?
- Asked by David L from Homewood
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to use for multiple external displays?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?
- Asked by Matthew G from Sacramento
- Flag as inappropriate (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
- Asked about: Lightning Digital AV Adapter