Is the software useful? Specifically, can I turn the SSID off for privacy?
- Asked by Jaynemarie L from Washington
- Flag as inappropriate Is the software useful? Specifically, can I turn the SSID off for privacy?
1 Answer from the Community
Hi, you certainly can via the web UI settings page. Just google “linksys velop ssid broadcast” for the support page. It also has other Quality of Life settings like choosing which devices get the most bandwidth, guest networks, family time settings, etc. as do most routers. Please note that turning off your SSID can benefit you via the principle of “security through obscurity” but can make you vulnerable to impersonation / MITM attacks if another party knows your network password (or if you have trusted networks like “McDonaldsFreeWifi” set to auto-connect) and really only means you broadcast your SSID less often rather than not at all. A “strong” wifi password >12 characters (with symbols and numbers) and updated router firmware are likely to benefit you more than hiding SSID alone.
- Answered by Chris S from Morayfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can I turn off the microphones?
- Asked by Robert A from Paradise Valley
- Dec. 11, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate can I turn off the microphones?
Can I use HomePod to turn on and off my Mac Pro ?
- Asked by Kenneth C
- Aug. 19, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate Can I use HomePod to turn on and off my Mac Pro ?
Can I connect these so whenever I turn on my TV the lights turn on and once I turn off they automatically turn off
- Asked by Jan C from Mcallen
- Jan. 16, 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Can I connect these so whenever I turn on my TV the lights turn on and once I turn off they automatically turn off