Will Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad power a portable USB 2.0 hard drive when used with a MacBook Air?
1 Answer from the Community
The maximum power output of the USB ports on the keyboard are 500 mA for the first connected port, and 100 mA for the remaining port. And even that is only when the keyboard is plugged directly into the special 1100 mA-capable USB ports on a Mac. if you plug the keyboard into a standard USB port, you will get even less power.
If your USB 2.0 hard drive gets all of its power through the USB ports, then it will never work if it exceeds 600 mA. Most USB hard drives that lack a separate power cord have two USB connectors, and each connector draws the maximum USB 2.0 power limit of 500 mA. So even if you do manage to stretch both USB cords from your hard drive around to the USB ports on opposite ends of the keyboard, the total power draw will be 1000 mA, which will overload the keyboard. At which point the keyboard will stop working, and you will have to unplug the whole keyboard and plug it back in to get it functioning again.
- Answered by Jonathan S from Newport Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have a 2011 iMac with USB 2.0. Can I use this hard drive with my computer?
- Asked by Todd S from Flemington
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a 2011 iMac with USB 2.0. Can I use this hard drive with my computer?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE Desktop Ha…
Does a new Airport Extreme have enough power at the USB bus to power a portable hard drive like the LeCie 2TB Porsche Portable Drive?
- Asked by John Y from Mount Pleasant
- Flag as inappropriate (Does a new Airport Extreme have enough power at the USB bus to power a portable hard drive like the LeCie 2TB Porsche Portable Drive?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Will this adapter when used with the new 12" Retina MacBook allow simultaneous Mac charging while also powering a USB portable drive ?
- Asked by Barry S from Edmonds
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter when used with the new 12" Retina MacBook allow simultaneous Mac charging while also powering a USB portable drive ?)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter