Is the thunderbolt display port on my macbook pro an input or an output only?
I am wanting to connect my Sony NEX FS-100 up to my MacBook Pro so that I can have a high quality live stream webcast. I have an HDMI output on my camera, and I have a thunderbolt display port on my MacBook Pro. I have found a HDMI --> Thunderbolt cable, but I need to know if the Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro is an input/output or an output only.
- Asked by Clark N from Marina
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the thunderbolt display port on my macbook pro an input or an output only?)
1 Answer from the Community
Thunderbolt is, depending on your Mac, either one or two 10 Gbps bi-directional streams in the case of Thunderbolt 1. Thunderbolt 2 ups that to 20 Gbps. The MacBook Air is too thin for a full-sized controller, so it gets a single bi-directional stream, other Macs have dual bi-directional streams.
The Thunderbolt port is compatible with MiniDisplayPort displays. Otherwise Thunderbolt can provide audio, video, data & power to external devices like Apple's Thunderbolt display or various brands of hubs.
What I'm trying to say is that Thunderbolt is not a one-way connection but the visually-similar Mini DisplayPort is output-only.
I once connected a Thunderbolt hub to a MacBook Air & was able to connect four external HDs, one via Thunderbolt, one via Firewire 800, one via USB 3 & another via USB 2. This left a USB 3 port unused, so I connected a DVI display via a Display-Link USB adaptor. Everything worked fine, indicating two-way compatibility with HDs & one way with a display.
I suspect you have a HDMI --> Mini DisplayPort cable, rather than HDMI --> Thunderbolt.
- Answered by Peter E from Pakenham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will the Apple Thunderbolt cable work between a Thunderbolt enabled 2011 iMac and a Pre-Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort enabled) MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Ryan C from Corona
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Apple Thunderbolt cable work between a Thunderbolt enabled 2011 iMac and a Pre-Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort enabled) MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…
Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?
- Asked by Robert W from Tonka Bay
- Flag as inappropriate (Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…