I have 2 iMacs and I would like to connect them both to an external monitor. Also be able to switch between the two. How can I do that?
I have a personal iMac and an iMac used strictly for work on loan from my employer. I have limited space in my office. I need a way to connect both of my iMacs preferably through dvi to 1 LCD monitor. I want to be able to use that LCD monitor as a second display on both iMacs with the ability to switch between computers. I've read that a KVM switch maybe what I'm looking for. However I've also read it described as a way to control 2 PC's with one keyboard and mouse, that is not what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
2 Answers from the Community
If you opt for an HDTV as your monitor, you can definitely do that. I use a pair of 32" Sharp 1080p HDTVs with a number of HDMI inputs. I have 2 computers connected to each of them. OS X switches each computer to the appropriate number of active displays automatically also.
Some computer monitors let you switch inputs also, but they typically only have 1 each of different connectors.
- Answered by Trevor J from Delta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You are probably looking for a KVM switch.
- Answered by Christopher S from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can i connect two additional monitors to my imac. giving me two external monitors and my imac one. what cables do I need if its possible? THANK YOU
- Asked by David A from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect two additional monitors to my imac. giving me two external monitors and my imac one. what cables do I need if its possible? THANK YOU)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
I need to be able to share my monitor between my new MacBook and my work Windows computer, switch the inputs. Looks like no display port.
- Asked by Michelle R from Dearborn
- Flag as inappropriate (I need to be able to share my monitor between my new MacBook and my work Windows computer, switch the inputs. Looks like no display port.)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display