2010 white Macbook on OSX 10.5.8 --can I install upgraded 10.6 or higher OS from another mac computer I have?
Have an macbook I'd like the kids to use -- mainly for the dvd drive and internet.
I don't want to pay for two OS upgrades just for that.
1. Can I use a program I already have on other equipment? (another near dead macbook pro)?
2. How high of an OS can this machine go?
3. How functional is 10.5.8 for things like the Internet?
The white macbook has 2.4 Ghz Intel core duo
1 Answer from the Community
I didn't think the 2010 MacBook came with an Intel Core Duo processor. More likely it is the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Since Snow Leopard was released in August 2009, and your MacBook is running OS 10.5.8, I would think your white MacBook is older than 2010.
"White" MacBook models were released in Late 2008 and Early 2009. The Late 2008 model (model number: MacBook4,2) supports up to "Lion" OS 10.7. The Early 2009 model (model number: MacBook5,2) supports "Mavericks" OS 10.9. (To see which model number you have, go to Apple Menu --> About This Mac --> System Report --> More Info.)
One is supposed to have purchased (or free download in the case of OS 10.9) the Mac OS license for each Mac (the license is what is purchased when one buys the OS, the disk media or download is simply the means to get software to your Mac.
Snow Leopard can be installed on many Macs from the same disk (although one is supposed to have paid for license for each Mac).
If a program is self-contained, you should be able to copy it over to another Mac in order to use. (A non-self-contained program would be one that has support files elsewhere on the system.)
OS 10.5.8 could be functional for the internet depending on your needs. Most current browsers will likely not support OS 10.5.8, so one will need to work with older versions of browsers. For example, the most recent versions of Safari are 6.1.5 and 7, but OS 10.5.8 only supports up to Safari 5.0.6.
For a list of various software that can be downloaded for different versions of the OS, go here:
supportDOTappleDOTcom/kb/HT1222 (replace each "DOT" with ".")
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can I upgrade white macbook 2.2 gH intel core duo from 10.5.8 to 10.6
- Asked by Jason S from Orinda
- Flag as inappropriate (can I upgrade white macbook 2.2 gH intel core duo from 10.5.8 to 10.6)
- Asked about: Mac
2006 macbook 10.5.8 can i upgrade with external USB DRIVE
- Asked by Carlos V from Anaheim
- Flag as inappropriate (2006 macbook 10.5.8 can i upgrade with external USB DRIVE)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)