My Mac is running 10.5.8- do I have to install 10.6 first in order to upgrade to higher operating systems such as 10.8?
1 Answer from the Community
You need to install OS 10.6 first, then update it to OS 10.6.8 in order to have the App Store app on your Mac. The App Store app is required to download later versions of the OS. Once OS 10.6.8 is on your Mac, you can directly upgrade to any later OS (provided the OS supports your Mac model).
For legacy versions of the OS:
through the online Apple Store one can purchase the DVD for OS 10.6.
Also, through the online Apple Store, one can obtain a "redemption code" for OS10.7 or OS10.8, which then allows you to download and install through the App Store app.
Mavericks OS10.9 and Yosemite OS10.10 were free. They are no longer available from Apple unless already downloaded through an Apple ID account. Any Mac that can run Mavericks or Yosemite, is able to run the latest OS: El Capitan. Otherwise for El Capitan, check that your Mac model meets the hardware requirements.
Following links are for USA (change "/us/" in url to your country's code): (of course, replace "[DOT]" with ".")
Snow Leopard OS10.6:
Mountain Lion OS10.8:
Not available unless one has previously downloaded on a specific Apple ID account. If another Mac is on same Apple ID account, it may be able to download and install. Any Mac that is able to run Mavericks or Yosemite can also run El Capitan.
Same info as Mavericks OS10.9.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I upgrade the mac I currently have? Running 10.5.8
- Asked by Elizabeth R from I Lion
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I upgrade the mac I currently have? Running 10.5.8)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
can I upgrade white macbook 2.2 gH intel core duo from 10.5.8 to 10.6
- Asked by Jason S from Orinda
- Flag as inappropriate (can I upgrade white macbook 2.2 gH intel core duo from 10.5.8 to 10.6)
- Asked about: Mac
I have a Mac running on Mac OS version 10.6.8 Is the HP envy 7640 compatible with this operating system version? Thanks
- Asked by Robin W
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac running on Mac OS version 10.6.8 Is the HP envy 7640 compatible with this operating system version? Thanks)
- Asked about: HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer