can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
I have an 8TB G-Raid Studio drive that I'm trying to connect to my airport extreme via a thunderbolt to ethernet connector for media storage.
My network is setup as follows 2TB Time Capsule --> 8 port gigabit network switch --> Airport Express x 2 & Airport Extreme.
I have a buffalo linkstation connected to the TC for my work server. I wanted to use this raid drive for a media server. I have connected the raid drive to the Airport Extreme using the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet connector but can't seem to have the drive recognized on the network... How can I fix this?
1 Answer from the Community
No it dosent because the thunderport does not start by itself and airport won t wake it but that said some hdd can start by themself or with a on off switch then it might work or it might not butyou then have to set a thunderbolt bridge in the network settings but some is you have a nas or hdd with ethernet port it will work when connected directly on a mac thunderbolt port but not if daisychain
- Answered by Matthieu M from Montreal
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?
- Asked by Robert L from Laguna Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…
Can I use this to connect both my printer (for wireless printing) and my external hard drive (for wireless file access) to an Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Brian P from Milan
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to connect both my printer (for wireless printing) and my external hard drive (for wireless file access) to an Airport Extreme?)
- Asked about: Belkin Aluminium USB 3.0 4-Port Hub
Can I connect a Thunderbolt 1 hard drive to the display (and therefore to my 2017 Macbook) via the apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 dongle?
- Asked by Cortney F P from Summerfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a Thunderbolt 1 hard drive to the display (and therefore to my 2017 Macbook) via the apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 dongle?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display