Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?
I have a new iMac with a 2 Tb internal drive. I wish to now buy a Time Capsule, would this be a good way of connection to give me faster bandwidth on my iMac?
- Asked by fn from Maryborough
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this cable to hook up a Time Capsule to my iMac?)
2 Answers from the Community
This adapter is not necessary to connect your iMac to your Time Capsule for internet access and for your Time Machine backups. Time Capsule and iMac can be connected via Wifi. In almost all cases, though, using this adapter with a decent ethernet cable (I recommend at least a Cat 5e ethernet cable) connected hard-wired to your Time Capsule will not only improve your internet speed on your iMac, but also your Time Machine backup speed. The actual improvement in speed of these things will depend on your current internet speed and distance between the iMac and Time Capsule along with other possible interferences. In most cases, though, I would say the average user would notice a slight increase in performance, and the power user to notice a significant performance increase.
If you deal with backup up many large files and are a heavy-bandwidth user, I woul definitely recommend using this adapter with either a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable.
- Answered by Jeffrey Y from Westmont
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, but there may be a bottle neck in speeds if your network isn't very fast. Gigabit Ethernet is very fast indeed.
- Answered by Joshua G from Ft Lauderdale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
would this cable work for hooking up an external microphone
- Asked by James W from Phoenix
- Feb. 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (would this cable work for hooking up an external microphone)
- Asked about: Beats Audio Cable
Which cables do I need to hook up a macbook to a macbook pro?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxx
- Jul. 11, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Which cables do I need to hook up a macbook to a macbook pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter