I have a Sony Hi 8 video camera. How do I transfer the video to my MacBook Pro 13 Retina with Thunderbolt?
2 Answers from the Community
You need a few items to make this work.
Firstly you need the thunderbolt to firewire adapter, then you need either a firewire 800 to 4 pin firewire cable OR a standard Sony iLink firewire 400 cable and a 800 to 400 adapter.
I already had the Sony iLink 400 cable so went with the 800 to 400 adapter.
Connect everything together and put the camera into playback/VCR mode. Open whatever Mac video program you're using (iMovie 9/Final Cut Pro X work fine) then go to capture and a window will open allowing you to control the camera from the program.
Look at the specifics for the program you are using.
My camera is a Sony PCR100 Hi8 camera from early 2001 and this method works perfectly with my 2013 iMac.
- Answered by Colin E
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Assuming that your video camera has a firewire port, the thunderbolt/firewire adapter should let you connect it to your computer. You might need a firewire adapter in between depending on whether the camera has a firewire 400 or 800 port.
- Answered by Harold A from New York
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I use this adapter to connect my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011: non-retina, 'Thunderbolt') to the HDMI input on a new projector?
- Asked by Jonathan B
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this adapter to connect my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011: non-retina, 'Thunderbolt') to the HDMI input on a new projector?)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …
What cable do i need to buy to us my old sony video camera recorder hi8. i want watch my old tapes on my mac
- Asked by Phil W from Brownsburg
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable do i need to buy to us my old sony video camera recorder hi8. i want watch my old tapes on my mac)
- Asked about: Apple Composite AV Cable
is this compatible with sony digital 8 cam/DCR-TRV330
- Asked by Mary Michele C from Nokomis
- Flag as inappropriate (is this compatible with sony digital 8 cam/DCR-TRV330)
- Asked about: Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-Pin/6-Pin…