Is it surge protected against mains spikes?
- Asked by Charles B
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it surge protected against mains spikes?)
1 Answer from the Community
I don't know for sure about this particular unit, but typically power supplies don't have meaningful surge suppression built-in. I always use an external surge suppressor.
For what it's worth, most surge suppressors become less effective over time, as the process of clamping spikes erodes the metal oxide varistors (MOV) most frequently employed by the devices.† So you can see that it doesn't make much since to incorporate surge suppression into power supplies (as they'd lose the ability to suppress surges eventually anyhow).
This article has a fairly accurate information about surge suppressors (you'll have to build you own URI, however, cause this site doesn't allow me to enter a functioning URI; remove the space before the first slash):
† MOVs aren't the only technology used to clamp power surges, but they are compact and economical, which is why they're most often used. Larger, bulkier, heavier, more expensive components often have longer lifespans than MOVs, but they all have limited lifespans.
- Answered by M. K from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is it lightening and surge protected?
- Asked by John G from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it lightening and surge protected?)
- Asked about: Twelve South PlugBug World Charger …
No answers yet
Does this offer surge protection?
- Asked by Jennifer G from Naples
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this offer surge protection?)
- Asked about: Apple 5W USB Power Adapter
No answers yet
Will the 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter protect my Macbook Pro from power surges or do I need a separate surge protector?
- Asked by Allison N from La Jolla
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter protect my Macbook Pro from power surges or do I need a separate surge protector?)
- Asked about: Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (…