Will a 12 watt power adapter charge the new MacBook?
Can I charge a new MacBook (USB-C) using an Apple 10 or 12 watt power adapter and a USB A to C adapter. The USB-C uses a 29 watt adapter. Am I correct that it will charge but will be slower?
- Asked by Eric M from Accomac
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a 12 watt power adapter charge the new MacBook?)
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, it will charge. I charge mine that way in some locations.
- Answered by Colton K from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Simply put no, this adapter will not work with the 2015 Macbook with USB-C Power Delivery charging. This charger is a USB-C charger but it does not support the Power Delivery protocol the MacBook requires. This means that this charger is strictly 5V (phone) and will not supply the higher voltage the MacBook needs. (I don't know off hand but it runs off of a much higher voltage than 5V. Possibly 14V+) When in doubt you can usually trust the Compatibility list on the product page to be accurate.
- Answered by Christopher S from Bastrop
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I charge my MacBook 12" with a 87W Power Adapter? Will it damage my MacBook?
- Asked by Alexander B from Brighton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I charge my MacBook 12" with a 87W Power Adapter? Will it damage my MacBook?)
- Asked about: 87W USB-C Power Adapter
Will this work with 12" macbook power adapter?
- Asked by Donald E
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with 12" macbook power adapter?)
- Asked about: Twelve South PlugBug World Charger …
No answers yet