i have a 27 dell monitor with a full size display port can i hook iMac with thunderbolt to it through the mini display port
2 Answers from the Community
Apple no longer makes regular-sized DisplayPort cables and adapters.
But you can get a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter and a DisplayPort cable from eBay for about $10 each. Anything Mini DisplayPort will work with a Thunderbolt port.
The other option is a Mini DisplayPort to DVI or Dual-Link DVI adapter but these are more expensive and bulky, and require a DVI input on the monitor.
- Answered by Adam B from Saint Paul
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
This one is a bit difficult, but it can be done. First, you'll want to get an adapter for the iMac called a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter. This plugs into the thunderbolt port and lets the iMac talk to other devices using the standard DVI cable. Then you'll need a DVI to DVI cable to plug into this adapter. Then you'll need a Mini DVI to DVI adapter to plug into the end of the DVI to DVI cord and then into the Dell monitor. So you're looking at investing in some adapters to make it work, but it can work this way.
- Answered by Matt M from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
how do i connect my a iMac mid 2010 to a dell monitor
- Asked by Aj B from Daytonabeach Shores
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect my a iMac mid 2010 to a dell monitor)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Can I connect a dell laptop running windows 7 to my thunderbolt display using the mini display port to DVI adapter.
- Asked by Michael N from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a dell laptop running windows 7 to my thunderbolt display using the mini display port to DVI adapter.)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
is Mini Display Port the same as Thunderbolt Port
- Asked by Allan M from N Providence
- Flag as inappropriate (is Mini Display Port the same as Thunderbolt Port)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …