Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?
Would like to explore connecting a USB-drive-enclosure and/or an Ethernet-drive-enclosure to allow more backup space to be available to users on my home network. Even if this would supercede the internal drive, I would find it preferable to other options like SLUG or FreeNAS which can be cheaper but potentially less-reliable.
For example, an Ethernet-capable NAS of, say, 10TB could be connected to one of the Gigabit ports, but would the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) recognize it as an extension of the internal storage, and therefore part of the Time Capsule storage media used for native Mac backups?
If there's not a way to do that, how arduous or risky is it to move the existing backups from the Time Capsule's internal drive to an external drive (ex: Ethernet-connected NAS) to free-up space on the 2TB/3TB internal drive, without corrupting the contents of that internal drive? Is there a way to initiate the move from within the Time Capsule itself, and thereby avoiding downloading/uploading all of that content over-the-network (to/from the PC) unnecessarily?
1 Answer from the Community
USB = Yes
Ethernet = No
Your Ethernet NAS is already on the LAN and makes no sense in having the traffic go thru the TC. Make sure your NAS device is Mac compatible at which point you could backup to both as Time Machine supports multiple devices for backups.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does Airport Express or Airport Extreme Time Capsule allow me to use iTunes HomeSharing on my Apple TV without using an internet connection?
- Asked by Cameron Kyle S from Johannesburg
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Express or Airport Extreme Time Capsule allow me to use iTunes HomeSharing on my Apple TV without using an internet connection?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can the Airport Express be used to extend the wifi range of a Time Capsule? if so, does it need to be connected to it with an ethernet cable?
- Asked by Derrick W from Mount Vernon
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express be used to extend the wifi range of a Time Capsule? if so, does it need to be connected to it with an ethernet cable?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
- Asked by Mujahid M from Upland
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…