is the USB port on this adapter USB 3 or USB 2?
- Asked by Konner K from Beaverton
- Flag as inappropriate (is the USB port on this adapter USB 3 or USB 2?)
2 Answers from the Community
Ran a system report with the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter attached and it shows up under a USB 2 Hub attached to the USB-3 bus. The speed for the adapter is listed at 1.5 Mb/sec while the speed listed for the USB-3 hubs is listed at 5 Gb/sec.
- Answered by Michael M from Huntsville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The port is USB 3.0. On a fresh SanDisk Ultra USB drive that boasts up to 150 MB/s, formatted for plain jane HFS (no FV encryption) a 2.96 GB file started off at 110-130 MB/s and reduced to around 30. 3 times, the whole file took exactly 64 seconds to transfer and the thumb drive was very warm, almost hot. The ultra-fast speed seems to last about 10-11 seconds or probably the first gig or gig and a half. This was done with a brand new fully up to date 2016 15" MBP, and again, fresh flash drive that should have zero residual data state on the cells. After the test was done, I performed Erase Free Space and the write was ~20-35 MB/s. The reduced data rate may be a safety feature to control temperature.
- Answered by Christopher P from Boise
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does the lightning cable use USB 3 or USB 2?
- Asked by Matthew S from Minneapolis
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the lightning cable use USB 3 or USB 2?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (1m)