Will this connect the Thunderbolt Display to the new MacBook?
- Asked by Isaac S from Hilton Head
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this connect the Thunderbolt Display to the new MacBook?)
2 Answers from the Community
No. I have been talking to several people with Apple, and currently, there is no solution that allows the use of your thunderbolt display with the new macbook with USB-C. I hope they will make a usb-c to thunderbolt adaptor, but there is some indication that the new macbook may not even have the electronics to drive the thunderbolt interface.
- Answered by Kent G from Louisville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Here is a short term work-around for connecting the new 2015 MacBook to an external monitor:
Get the USB-C A/V Adapter with HDMI out.
Get an HDMI cable (two Male Ends)
An Thunderbolt to HDMI (Female) connector.
In my case, I was able to connect my new 2015 MacBook to a 21" (older) Cinema Display) using the USB-C A/V dongle, an HDMI Male/Male cable and an HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter connected to the Cinema Display cable (which has a mini Displayport/Thunderbolt connector for MacBook pro or Air).
When I plugged the HDMI cable between the USB-C HDMI port and the HDMI port on the Cinema Display converter, it worked and I can mirror or extend my display :)
I'm yet to try it with my 27" Cinema Display. Will post again and let everyone know what happened.
- Answered by Tariq S from Tigard
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is this the product that allows the new Macbook connect to the Thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Danielle V from Los Gatos
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the product that allows the new Macbook connect to the Thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock
Does this work with the new Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Jonathan M from Washington
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with the new Thunderbolt Display?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…