Audio Interface Compatibilty. Can we use any audio interface that uses USB, or will they have to be MFI? What about audio interface drivers?
Will audio interfaces have to be made for iPad Pro to be compatible. Or will we be able to use this adapter to plug in audio interfaces we own already? Some audio interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 work without installing drivers on the Mac. On the Mac you can just plug it in and it just works. On the iPad I wonder if the same would be true. Apple we need clarification. In the description of the product it says the following...
"Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more."
All I want to know is am I wasting my money if I buy this and try to use it with an existing audio interface.
Also, does GarageBand for iOS on iPad Pro 12.9" support audio interfaces plugged in through this adapter? Or do we have to wait for an update.
3 Answers from the Community
This adapter will work with most all audio I/O interfaces including your focus rite. I've actually used the older standard usb adapter with an xbox 360 usb microphone and it worked. I've used it with a 4ch yamaha mixer as well as an Audio Technica AT2025 usb microphone. The previous model did not have the lightning power pass thru and had issues with some devices wanting to mucher power. Luckily this adapter came.along and it solves those issues..
GarageBand as well as pretty well most all other audio related apps have perfect recognition and input/output use of the devices connected.vis.the adapter.
- Answered by Arick D from Janesville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I've just connected a ten-year-old audio interface formerly used with a Mac to my iPad Pro 12,9 via the adapter and it worked nicely in GarageBand. I was happily surprised.
The fact that I could also attach a mechanical keyboard to the iPad through the adapter makes it extra useful.
- Answered by Carsten B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I believe the interface has to be iOS core audio compatible. Just like on the Mac. Check for your interface on the focusrite site. Mine says it is. 18i18
- Answered by Daniel S from Corona,
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
What is an audio interface?
- Asked by Caroline M from Minneapolis
- Flag as inappropriate (What is an audio interface?)
- Asked about: Apogee MiC Digital Microphone
Does the Apogee Duet USB Audio Interface need the DC Adapter?
- Asked by Gregory I from Matawan
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Apogee Duet USB Audio Interface need the DC Adapter?)
- Asked about: Apogee Duet USB Audio Interface for…
Does using this increase latency in audio transfer between a new MBP and an apogee audio interface?
- Asked by James K
- Flag as inappropriate (Does using this increase latency in audio transfer between a new MBP and an apogee audio interface?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…