If I connect this adapter to a USB-C port of LG 43UD79-B monitor (displayport over usb-c), can I use my Mac Pro 2013 (thunderbolt 2)?
1 Answer from the Community
The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not pass DisplayPort signals. It can pass a Thunderbolt encoded DisplayPort stream over Thunderbolt to a Thunderbolt display, but the LG 43UD79-B is not a Thunderbolt display. The LG 43UD79-B has a DisplayPort input that you can use instead. For the USB-C port, it may be possible to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable (I think they're reversible) but you wouldn't be able to use the USB features of the display (which might include audio, unless audio is handled over DisplayPort). For a display that has only a USB-C input, you can use a DisplayPort to USB-C converter. These don't exist, except as a PCIe card such as the Sunix UPD2018 or Delock 89582 for USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode. A Thunderbolt add-in card such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE can also work to convert DisplayPort to USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode for USB-C displays, and can also convert DisplayPort and dual DisplayPort to Thunderbolt for Thunderbolt displays. PCIe cards require power from a PCIe slot, but the slot doesn't need to be connected to the same computer to support DisplayPort conversion. If you also want to use the other features of the cards (USB or Thunderbolt controller) then the card needs to be in a PCIe slot that is accessible by the computer. A Thunderbolt card must be placed in a PCIe slot that supports a Thunderbolt add-in card only if you want to use the USB controller or PCIe transmission over Thunderbolt. Conversion of DisplayPort to USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode or to Thunderbolt does not require a PCIe slot that supports Thunderbolt.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is the USB C in also Thunderbolt 3 in?
- Asked by Daniel S from Brooklyn
- Apr. 4, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate Is the USB C in also Thunderbolt 3 in?
Samsung T5 Usb-C ? Can it be connected to a thunderbolt 2 port on my (2012)MacBook Pro Via this cable and a USB-C male to Thunderbolt 2 female adapter
- Asked by Michael J from Cleveland
- Apr. 4, 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Samsung T5 Usb-C ? Can it be connected to a thunderbolt 2 port on my (2012)MacBook Pro Via this cable and a USB-C male to Thunderbolt 2 female adapter
Will this work with a 16" MBP connected the computer port, and also power two monitors connected to the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of the dock?
- Asked by Meredith S from Kansas City
- Jan. 28, 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Will this work with a 16" MBP connected the computer port, and also power two monitors connected to the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of the dock?