Is this the only solution to use Apple's Thunderbolt displays in combination with the new Macbook Pros that only have USB-C?
Is there no solution that also lets us charge the new Macbook with the Thunderbolt display? It looks like this is only a solution for 'data-exchange', not for charging.
I don't like the idea of having to add another charger to my workstation, or plug-and-unplug my charger every workday.
4 Answers from the Community
Currently, a way to convert the MagSafe plug of the Thunderbolt display to deliver power over USB-C to the new MacBook Pro doesn't exist. So you need a separate power supply.
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
There isn't anything like this out there. TB displays do not provide power except through the dedicated built-in MagSafe connector.
- Answered by Paul P from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
yes, you will need to use two usb-c port, one for the thunderbolt adapter and another for power supply
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Yes, currently this is the only product that exists to let you use the Thunderbolt Display with the new MacBook Pro.
And no, it will not work for charging. The Thunderbolt display provides power via a MagSafe connector; this adapter does not have a MagSafe connector, and there is currently no way to get one on the new MacBook Pro.
Also, to be clear, this will only work for the new MacBook Pro, NOT for the 12" non-pro MacBook.
Source: apple support document HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter".
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Can you use this as a USB-C charge cable?
- Asked by Michael B from Spartanburg
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use this as a USB-C charge cable?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Cable (2m)
How does this cable differ from the USB-C charging cable made by Apple and provided with the new MacBook Pros?
- Asked by Matt B from Greensboro
- Flag as inappropriate (How does this cable differ from the USB-C charging cable made by Apple and provided with the new MacBook Pros?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB-C to USB-C Cable (USB 3.…
Is this display compatible with the previous generation of Retina MacBook Pros?
- Asked by Alex C from Palm Harbor
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this display compatible with the previous generation of Retina MacBook Pros?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display