The Mac Pro w/Thunderbolt 2 does not natively support new USB-C monitors like the LG 38UC99-W 38". Will this adapt work seamlessly w/Sound & USB?
Currently on a MacPro, you'd have to use Display Port to connect to the latest gen USB-C monitors (such as the LG 38UC99-W 38"), thus it would work, but you wouldn't get one cable with video, sound & USB. Other than speed of data transfers (which is not really a concern for a monitor), what Thunderbolt 3 features do you lose?
2 Answers from the Community
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is for Thunderbolt 3 devices, not USB-C, so it is not useable with this monitor.
You're not losing any Thunderbolt 3 features because the monitor is not Thunderbolt 3.
If you don't have a computer with a USB-C port, then you can still get all the features of the 38UC99-W monitor (except Power Delivery) using two cables: DisplayPort for Video and Audio and USB-C for USB data. I believe the monitor is limited to USB 3.0 SuperSpeed rates (5 Gbps) in any case (though it seems to me that using the DisplayPort connector would allow more bandwidth for USB if there was a resolution/refresh rate that required more than two lanes of DisplayPort signal).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
This adapter will probably not work with that monitor as it is not a Thunderbolt 3 device, only USB-C. While they use the same port, TB3 and USB-C are NOT the same thing.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this work with the LG 38UC99-W 38" Monitor? And provide all the charging/USB hub capabilities?
- Asked by Joseph R from Santa Ana
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with the LG 38UC99-W 38" Monitor? And provide all the charging/USB hub capabilities?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB-C to USB-C Cable (USB 3.…
Lg ultrafine 4K and a Mac Pro 2013 will work?
- Asked by Iulius S from Prato
- Flag as inappropriate (Lg ultrafine 4K and a Mac Pro 2013 will work?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display
Does it work with USB C and adapters?
- Asked by Baramy V from Amarillo
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it work with USB C and adapters?)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive
No answers yet