can you download snow leopard?
- Asked by Michael W
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1 Answer from the Community
One purchases Snow Leopard through the online Apple Store. The price includes shipping the install disk to your address.
If you do not have an internal optical drive on your Mac, there are ways of installing without one.
1) connect an external optical drive. insert install disk, and startup from that disk.
2) put Mac on same network as another Mac with an optical drive (not the most reliable) (instructions on install disk)
3) get a USB Flash Drive (at least 12GB in size). Use Disk Utility to format the USB as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)." and if option is available, with "GUID partitioning". Then on a Mac with an optical drive, with Disk Utility RESTORE the install disk to the USB flash drive. Move USB flash drive to your Mac and start up from the USB drive.
4) Put install disk in a Mac with optical drive. Use Disk Utility to create a Disk Image file (.DMG). On your Mac, with Disk Utility create a partition of at least 12 GB formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID partitioning (if available). Move .DMG file to your Mac. Use Disk Utility to RESTORE the .DMG file to the new partition. Start up from the new partition to run the Snow Leopard installer.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver