Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
733 Questions from the Community
If I extend wi-fi network from an Airport Extreme basestation via WDS to this unit, can both ethernet ports be used for networking non wi-fi devices?Answer
Absolutely! THe Extreme can wirelessly extend to another wireless router (Bridge mode). As long as you enable ETHERNET. THe additional router (such as Airport Express) makes stronger wireless signal over the entire dwelling or office, and then allows you to use the ethernet port and the USB port, such as, a network printer or shared drive Or another PC or whatever. Highly recommend it. Two extremes together would give you 8 Ethernet ports in addition to multiple wireless clients. Depending on your ISP; where I am, is fibre optic. I think it allows 67 or so?? Can't remember. But plenty. I've used this setup extensively in different locations. Seamless, and easy to set up. Can't go wrong with apple equipment in my humble opinion. Cheers!
If I plugged an external hard drive into this, would I be able to access media on it via Apple TV and do time machine backups from my Mac?Best Answer:
No. You would need the Airport Extreme to share a disk over USB, or a Time Capsule if you want to do over-the-air Time Machine backups.
- Answered by Thomas D from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I plugged an external hard drive into this, would I be able to access media on it via Apple TV and do time machine backups from my Mac?)
Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme
- Asked by Nicolas S from Plymouth
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme)
Yes, and it's fantastic!
- Answered by Gabriele B from Nutley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme)
can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?
I want to air play the same music form my IPhone to two diferent areas in my home where I have two diferent amps conected to a set of speakers.
I allready have one area conected to a 4 years old Aiport Express. I need to conect it to a new area.
- Asked by Ignacio M from Hermosillo
- Flag as inappropriate (can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?)
No you cannot do that from any iOS device. However, if you have a mac or windows computer, you can from iTunes, just select it before selecting airplay devices to stream to!
- Answered by Andrew S from Bendigo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?)
Can this be used as a wireless router for a home network?
I am interested in buying this but before i do i need to know. I am gathering that it can be but it would be nice to have yes or no answer and not a maybe before i buy one. Thank You
- Asked by Joshua W from Sweet Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used as a wireless router for a home network?)
Yes you can use this as a wireless router for a home network. When setting up the AirPort Express, choose the option, "Create a Wireless Network".
- Answered by Dean S from Encino
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be used as a wireless router for a home network?)
Yes, but it will have to be in router mode, not bridge mode. If it is acting as a bridge, you would have to set that configuration in the core router.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this have the option to forward ports and reserve local IP addresses so that my ip cameras will continue to work?)
what does a flashing yellow light indicate on the airport express
- Asked by Janice J from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate (what does a flashing yellow light indicate on the airport express)
what does it do, and how does it work?
I don't fully understand what it is, and how I would go about using it..?
- Asked by Cindy O
- Flag as inappropriate (what does it do, and how does it work?)
Yes. Set the express up in bridged mode. It then joins your wireless network and extends it and can provide bridged ethernet and USB plus stereo audio port for Airplay. Best $100 router out there. If you use it as a bridge, it does tend to run fairly warm. I set mine where it is close to some air flow. THe express runs warm compared to other wireless devices. Probably because it is so compact. Still, no issues in my experience. Works as expected. Cheers!
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is it compatible with the virgin media super hub, i.e could i extend the wi-fi of my superhub using the express)
I have an old Airport Express A1084 from the year 2006,, it is compatible with the NEW Airport Express, can I extend my network using my old model?Best Answer:
Yes. Use the newest Airport unit as the main signal distribution unit (internet device is connected to this unit) and use the older Airport unit as the signal extender. Just place the second extending unit about half way between the first Express and where you need the need the signal to reach. And it stands to reason that the farther you move away from the first express the weaker the signal will be even when using an extender.
- Answered by Neal M from Studio City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have an old Airport Express A1084 from the year 2006,, it is compatible with the NEW Airport Express, can I extend my network using my old model?)
Does this include WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) functionality?
WPS functionality has been proven to be a security risk. Does the AirPort Express Base Station offer this functionality? And if it does, can it be disabled?
- Asked by Brian G
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this include WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) functionality?)
No, there is no support for WPS in this product. It does however support WDS.
- Answered by Alasdair P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this include WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) functionality?)
Will AirPort Express improve my phone's FaceTime connection?
My cell phone connectivity switches to my neighbor's while I'm trying to FaceTime which causes the FaceTime to freeze or drop. Will the Airport Express help my phone connect to my modem/router downstairs more effectively?
- Asked by Nancy S from Sagamore Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Will AirPort Express improve my phone's FaceTime connection?)
Airport express or apple tv
The apple Tv and Airport express are the same price but the Apple Tv does more.
Should i buy an Apple tv to stream my music to my stereo in the other room ?
Or should i buy a Airport express ?
Does the Airport express have more faetures that the Apple TV doesn't have ?
I currently have
I just want to be ablle to stream music tto the stereo's i have through my Two storry house
I just purchaced the Airport Express but i'm now thinking i should of bought another Apple TV ?
- Asked by David C from Kingsley
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express or apple tv)
I'm faced with the same dilemma, as my 802.11g Airport Express suffers from many drop-outs due to multiple interference on the 2.4Ghz band by microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors and the like. Been kind of holding off till the new 802.11ac was implemented across the board by APPLE. More on that in a minute.
The APPLE tv obviously does a lot more in the entertainment arena thru it's ability to stream all your iTunes content to your TV, in addition to NETFLIX, VIMEO, YouTube, hockey and baseball games, etc, etc. But it does not support wireless printing; no USB port. To get the audio from your iTunes music library to your main Stereo, you'd either need an HDMI splitter, HDMI 1.4 with ARC (audio return channel), an HDMI AV receiver, or purchase a Toslink optical audio cable to go directly from the APPLE tv to your Stereo system.
The current version of the APPLE tv still uses 802.11n. While that is plenty for music streaming, the advantage of 802.11ac would be, no possible slowdown of the entire network by one slower link in the chain, as well as being ready for when 4k video streams become more commonplace.
I'm waiting to see if APPLE will update the Airport Express as well as the APPLE tv to the new ac standard. If not in the near future, I'll buy the Express, as at the moment I just want to be able to stream my iTunes library to my main Stereo, and I won't have to shell out for the optical cable. In addition, it'll buy more time to see where APPLE is headed with their APPLE tv "hobby". But for 99 bucks, you can't go wrong either way.
- Answered by Michael V from Barrie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Airport express or apple tv)
When music is transmitted to an Airplay enabled device (like the Airport Express) it sends the music in the form of Apple Lossless 44Khz/16bit which is CD quality. If you have high def music in your iTunes library (like music bought demo HDtrack.com) that is 96kHz-24bit then the quality will be down graded to CD quality. You can see is happening by opening the Audio MIDI Setup app in your Applications/Utility directory and selecting your Airplay device an noticing 44100 Hz 2ch 16 bits is the only option available. If you can to play music with higher quality than CD quality then you need to connect your AV to your Mac with a directly connect optical cable.
- Answered by Mark L from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have a fairly hi end stereo system ;will sound "quality" thru airport express to my system be degraded ?)
Yes this is a wifi router it works with all wifi devices such as roku.
- Answered by Jack E from Sierra Madre
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Roku work on it?)
Is the Airport Express Base Station portable? Can I take it with me to school and use it as wifi?
I currently use Clear for when I travel with my laptop and was wondering if the AirPort base could replace the Clear, as I'm paying a monthly fee for it.
- Asked by Shelby G from Las Vegas
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Airport Express Base Station portable? Can I take it with me to school and use it as wifi?)
can we use airport extreme used as repeater router
I am having a service provider wifi router as base station and recently purchased airport extreme.Is it possible to use it as repeater router to expand range of wifi network
- Asked by Milind S
- Flag as inappropriate (can we use airport extreme used as repeater router)
You could yes but unless your service provider's wifi router has 802.11ac, then you are wasting your money buying an extreme. Just get the express maybe? Or, do what I did, disable wifi on your sp's router, connect the extreme to it using an ethernet cable and then use that to run your wifi, adding express units around the house as you go if you want to boost the signal or make use of an ethernet port somewhere else? I found that moving from the router wifi to the extreme made a HUGE difference to the quality and range of the wifi in the house as it's just a much better, stronger and more capable wifi device.
- Answered by Andrew B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can we use airport extreme used as repeater router)
No, the USB port is to enable AirPrint on a printer. Aux in enables AirPlay for any speaker.
- Answered by Brandon F from Cupertino
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use AirPort Express’s usb port to plug external HDD and have automatic wireless TimeMachine backups?)
Is the Airport Express a modem & router in one?
- Asked by Debra B from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Airport Express a modem & router in one?)
No, you'll need a separate modem/router to connect to your ISP. In some cases, they may provide a similar device that can also broadcast a WiFi signal that you can use with your wireless devices, for a fee. Best bet is to give them a shout for assistance.
- Answered by Garth H from Sacramento
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Airport Express a modem & router in one?)