Questions & Answers for Apple USB SuperDrive
285 Questions from the Community
Is the super drive compatible with a MacBook Pro without retina display?
MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2012
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.9.5
- Asked by Steven N C from Brimfield
- Jul. 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the super drive compatible with a MacBook Pro without retina display?)
Want to create a wireless network, therefore, I would like to somehow plug the superdrive to a usb hub that can be reached wirelessly. Can it be done?
My thing is to create a wireless network where I can plug all the devices such as printer, superdrive, external hard drive to a hub that can be accessed wirelessly....so far I know that my printer can be thru the Airport express, however, I dont know if it can be done with the superdrive and the ext Hard drive. It would be so cool and super easy if this can be done so I can just roam around my house with my Macbook air, sit and work on my mac mini and just lets say play a movie thru mirroring on apple TV by wirelessly using the superdrive instead of having to plug it to the macs...am I too far advenced for this technology or is this just wishful thinking....???
- Asked by Michelle F from Chicago
- Aug. 14, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Want to create a wireless network, therefore, I would like to somehow plug the superdrive to a usb hub that can be reached wirelessly. Can it be done?)
does super drive comes with thunderbolt connectivity
- Asked by Sukhminder P from Mississauga
- Oct. 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (does super drive comes with thunderbolt connectivity)
Is there a specific cd or dvd format I need to burn from this device?
- Asked by Amelia S from Knoxville
- Aug. 5, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a specific cd or dvd format I need to burn from this device?)
Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv
Im thinking of buying the apple tv, could i put the usb superdive into my apple tv so i can watch dvds????
- Asked by Emma Ffion A
- Aug. 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv)
Will the SuperDrive record dual-layer DVD's?
- Asked by Edwin B from New York
- Mar. 8, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the SuperDrive record dual-layer DVD's?)
- Answered by Nicholas P from Westport
- May 14, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the SuperDrive record dual-layer DVD's?)
Can I use to transfer photos saved on CD from old desk top computer?
- Asked by Sharon Louise S from Sherman Oaks
- Jan. 8, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use to transfer photos saved on CD from old desk top computer?)
- Answered by Dylan J from Acworth
- Apr. 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you install and play computer games that are compatible with the iMac computers with the USB SuperDrive?)
can the apple usb superdrive also play blue ray
- Asked by Julio C from San Fernando
- Jul. 16, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can the apple usb superdrive also play blue ray)
- Answered by Marc B from Austin
- Jul. 26, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can the apple usb superdrive also play blue ray)
2009 iMac and USB superdrive?
The internal superdrive in my 24-inch, Early 2009 iMac w/2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor has stopped working reliably (and most times, has stopped working at all). Was hoping that adding this external USB superdrive would keep my system limping along, however looking at the system requirements seems to have dashed my dreams of being able to continue to use my iMac in the manner for which it was purchased. Would like to know if I am out of luck here, or is there an alternative?
- Asked by Joseph W from Lynn
- Nov. 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (2009 iMac and USB superdrive?)
I just added a usb superdrive to my 2009 iMac 24", and like the others it did not work, as for the reasons given.
it seems that they only work with some macs.
Well looking round the net i found information on things to try nothing worked.
I then found a bit on a sudo command you put in with terminal.
ok your new superdrive dvd/cd rom want work on you mac?
it seems apple made this drive but its not back ward comparable with all macs.
Im told it works with 4 macs, that shipped without internal dvd/cd rom and a mac mini or two..
Well I found this in terminal type
sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1" Hit return
I rebooted my iMac and as the iMac was starting up it took the DVD that I had been trying to put in but all it did was push it back out.
Now with this little line of code script my USB superdrive is now working just fine.
I don't know much about this script code apart from what I read on the net, all I know it worked for me with no trouble I have wrote a few DVDS and wrote to a few re-writable CD and DVD with out any thing bad
hope it helps some of you out.
- Answered by Alan W
- Dec. 15, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (2009 iMac and USB superdrive?)
- Answered by Georgina L from Melbourne
- Mar. 26, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it windows compatiable)
No, those would get stuck inside just like with any other slot-loading drive.
- Answered by Timothy M from Hillsboro
- Jul. 3, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this work with the 80mm mini CD's that sometimes come with software?)
Does this drive support lightscribe?
- Asked by Clayton R from Saginaw
- Feb. 23, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this drive support lightscribe?)
is the apple super drive compatible with a lenovo laptop?
trying to install printer software onto my Lenovo laptop using my apple super drive but the disc isn't loading. Are they incompatible?
- Asked by Angela F
- Jan. 15, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (is the apple super drive compatible with a lenovo laptop?)
what region is the super drive?
- Asked by Saina F
- Aug. 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (what region is the super drive?)
You can set it to whatever region you want when you put a DVD in. However you can only change the region about 4 times before it stays on one region
- Answered by Madie C from Melbourne
- Aug. 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what region is the super drive?)
what region of DVDs can I play on this external drive? Is there a specific one? or can we set up once we put in a whatever region DVD?
No answers yet
Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina
I am about to purchase a macbook pro and am wondering about creating CD's and DVD's. I know that I need an external superdrive with the retina display. Is this all I need to be able to create and burn a DVD or a CD as I will have to do this as part of my job.
- Asked by Renee W from Ormeau Hills
- Aug. 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina)
Depends what you mean by "create DVD's or CD's" - The MacBook Pro with Retina Display comes with inbuilt software to let you do the basic functions (for example, burn music to a CD from iTunes, or iDVD, which lets you create DVD's from certain video files on your Mac) - for more complicated operations, such as copying DVD's or CD's, you will need additional software like Toast.
- Answered by Peter C
- Aug. 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina)