Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
341 Questions from the Community
what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tvAnswer
I assume you are referring to the 30-PIN Digital AV Adapter vs Lightning Digital AV adapter. The first one uses the old 30-PIN connector while the latter uses the new lightning connector. Check whether your device uses lightning or 30-PIN connector.
- Answered by Philgin E from Burbank
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tv)
will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad
I have the original I pad and would like to hook up to my TV. will the AV adapter work ? and will it play audio as well as video
- Asked by Patricia D from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate (will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad)
The Lightning AV adapter will only work with the iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5C/5S and the latest generation iPod devices that have the Lightning connector.
The first, second and third generation iPad have the older 30 pin connector so you need to use the 30 pin version on this store.
- Answered by John C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad)
No, this is strictly an "output" cable. Plug in this cable and you can now watch that game or movie from your Ipad of Iphone on a bigger screen.
- Answered by Michael D from Muncy
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to tether video with my Nikon D800 to my mini Ipad 3rd generation or Iphone 6+?)
Will this work on ios9?
I just want to know if this will work on IOS9, as there have been some threads saying it stopped after ios8. Not sure just checking as I just updated.
I have all the new compatible devices, but want to know if the upgrade might not let it work.
- Asked by Ged J
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work on ios9?)
yes it works fine in the latest iOS (9.0.2)
- Answered by Alfredo B from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work on ios9?)
Yes, Everything that was on my phone was displayed on the TV.
I got this adapter and it works great.
The pixilation (picture quality) on the TV degrades the close you are to the screen, but then again I'm not going to sit 2 feet from the screen to watch the TV.
When I tiled my phone horizontally, the picture on the screen followed and vice versa.
Everything thing I normally use my IPhone for (text, web, movies) I was able to watch on the TV.
It was awesome.
- Answered by May G from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you display everything on your device onto the TV?)
Will the Lightning Digital AV Adapter mirror skype from my iPhone 5 onto my HD telly? I want to use my phone as the webcam to view skype on my telly.
No answers yet
would this cable work for when I want to use ZWIFT and show it on my TV
- Asked by John Stephen M
- Flag as inappropriate (would this cable work for when I want to use ZWIFT and show it on my TV)
Most definitely yes, this works with sound. It also works with the audible.com app just fine. Be aware, however, that Facetime will not rout through the adapter but stays on the phone. Also, be aware that telephone calls made through the phone app will say on the phone itself and not rout through the connecter. For blind Voice OVer users, Voice Over will speak on the phone itself and not be routed through the adapter: rather a nice plus.
- Answered by Raymond F from Houma
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this product work with sound as well as video?)
sync cable for transferring data from iphone to ipad.
- Asked by Michael J. W from Charleston
- Flag as inappropriate (sync cable for transferring data from iphone to ipad.)
Can you stream the NRL 2014 app through the Lightning Digital AV Adapter
- Asked by Isabella V from Burleigh Heads
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you stream the NRL 2014 app through the Lightning Digital AV Adapter)
when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?
I'm designing a car stereo system that is going to use an iPad as the head unit (deck). I need to get a digital audio signal (toslink) out of the iPad so I can connect it to a DSP with toslink in. From there, it will be like any other car stereo; Analog audio out of the DSP (just as it would come out of a traditional car stereo head unit) and into amps, then speakers/subs. By going this route, I can use the vastly superior DA converter in the DSP as opposed to the iPad's onboard DA converter.
Unfortunately Apple does not provide us with a lightning to toslink adapter; surprise, surprise! However If I were to get a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, and a device like this (Fosmon HDMI Audio Extractor Converter Box [HDMI to HDMI+Audio] - Supports Toslink (SPDIF), RCA L/R Audio) Then conceivably I could extract the Digital audio that way. However, I will only need the audio from the HDMI signal, regardless if there is any video data or not (listening to an MP3 as opposed to watching an MKV) So for this plan to work, the iPad's own screen would need to remain active (on, with video displayed) even when the apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter is plugged into the iPad. Thanks.
Also, will using the apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter just transfer the sound from music/video's being watched, or would it transmit all system sounds, like for instance the key stroke sounds from typing, alert sounds from notifications, etc?
- Asked by Matthew G from Sacramento
- Flag as inappropriate (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
I have been using the lightning to HDMI adapter for my iPAD Mini to do code demonstrations and other various presentations for several months now. When using the iPAD to navigate between apps and browse the web, the display is mirrored on both the iPAD and display device (Projector, TV, etc.). The google slides app has a presentation mode that will display the slides in full screen on the connected device but show slide previews and presenter notes on the iPAD itself. As far as I know, the audio is transmitted and taken away from the iPAD just as if you had plugged in a set of head phones or connected to a Bluetooth speaker system.
- Answered by Korey E from Hurst
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
No macs have thunderbolt ports this is for the lightning port that the new iPad's iPhone and iPod have and its output not input. Hope this helps
- Answered by Ace F from Coffs Harbour
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this mean that i can hook my xbox360 hdmi to the adaptor and play on my Imac through lighting port now?)
is audio possible using lightning digital av adapter iPhone 7 with the 1/8 adapter? Is there a setting adjustment i need to make on the iPhone?
- Asked by Gary Y from Crystal Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (is audio possible using lightning digital av adapter iPhone 7 with the 1/8 adapter? Is there a setting adjustment i need to make on the iPhone?)
No answers yet
can you watch hulu or tubeplus ,netflix or any other streaming video on a ipad retina display?
I want to be able to download movies from various sites usibng different formats for example avi movies and i want to watch my tv shows on the website tubeplus on a ipad retina display and when at home on my tv.
- Asked by Martin W from Larkspur
- Flag as inappropriate (can you watch hulu or tubeplus ,netflix or any other streaming video on a ipad retina display?)
playing iphone 5 on my vehicles navigation display
Is it possible to play video produced by an iphone 5 over my vehicles navigation system screen with only AV outlets?
- Asked by Clint C from Baton Rouge
- Flag as inappropriate (playing iphone 5 on my vehicles navigation display)
Will this work on the pioneer appradio 2?
- Asked by Gustavo S from Brownsville
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work on the pioneer appradio 2?)
Yes is going to work with appradio 2 but you need to get the pioneer CD-IH202 cable kit too, which cost another 50$ and a firmware update for the appradio, this will be available Spring 2013.
- Answered by Allan M from Ciudad Quesada
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work on the pioneer appradio 2?)
Can you use Pages when connecting an iPad Air2 to a monitor via lightning/HDMI adapter?
I'm looking to scale down my 15" MBP Retina to an iPad Air2. I'm traveling more and more for work, so space/weight remaining at a premium, particularly when crossing the Atlantic. My major concern is whether I'll have the ability to connect to a larger screen via Airplay or via the lightning/HDMI adapter to a larger screen for writing with Pages, Keynote, and more. I don't see an issue for presenting per se, but it would be wonderful if I could find a way to plug into a nice 22"+ monitor in a hotel room or in my home office. Is this possible? Am I condemned to just slightly reducing my travel tech with either a 13" MBP or MBA?
- Asked by Charles G from Boca Raton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use Pages when connecting an iPad Air2 to a monitor via lightning/HDMI adapter?)
When used with an iPhone 5, does it stretch the output?
iPhone 5 is at 1136x640, so when connected to an HDTV, does the TV get sent a 640p signal, or a 720p signal where everything is slightly blurry from upscaling? If it sends a 640p signal, then you could decide for yourself with the TV's options whether to upscale or leave the image with a border around it.
- Asked by Darren K from Lexington
- Flag as inappropriate (When used with an iPhone 5, does it stretch the output?)