Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt Cable (0.5 m) - White
108 Questions from the Community
Can my iMac (2013) connect to my macbook pro (2012) with the thunderbolt cable and be used (the macbook pro) as a second display?Answer
Your question leaves open some ambiguity. Let me try to resolve it:
1. You can use the Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac and your MacBook Pro
2. You can use the iMac as a secondary display for your MacBook Pro provided you put your iMac into Target Display Mode. This is documented by Apple - please search for "Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode"
3. You cannot use the MacBook Pro display as a secondary display for the iMac. The MacBook Pro does not offer Target Display Mode.
If you would like to use the MacBook Pro internal screen as a secondary display for the iMac, your only route would be by way of a software/network solution like ScreenRecycler.
Thunderbolt to MINI DVI
What cable do I need to connect a Macbook Air (2011) thunderbolt port to a 24" iMac (2008) DVI port to be able to run the Macbook Air in target mode. In other words, the iMac would act as an external display for the new Macbook Air.
Thank you in advance,
- Asked by Janet R from Lakewood
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt to MINI DVI)
Can I connect a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air and use the Air as a second display for the 2011?
I know both have thunderbolt ports, I just need to know wether i can make a second display, not just data transfer with thunderbolt cables. I'm trying to use what I have, an older work computer and use my personal laptop as the second display for when i work from home.
- Asked by Jonathan C from Pittsburg
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air and use the Air as a second display for the 2011?)
No you cannot. Connecting the two computers would just allow you to access the hard drive of the other MacBook.
- Answered by Michael K from Clearlake
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2013 Macbook Air and use the Air as a second display for the 2011?)
What is wrong with USB that I have to use Thunderbolt?
Thunderbolt cables are hugely expensive and don't work on any other equipment I have that's not a Mac powerbook.
What benefit am I getting from Thunderbolt that USB 3 does not deliver?
- Asked by Jonathan B
- Flag as inappropriate (What is wrong with USB that I have to use Thunderbolt?)
Thunderbolt is a more versatile interface than USB, it can transfer both data and video signal. That means you only need one port to accomplish data transfer and video output, there is no need for two separate ports (ex. USB and DisplayPort). Thunderbolt uses the old Mini DisplayPort so you can still use your VGA/DVI adapters. Thunderbolt also have Daisy Chain capability, you can connect up to 6 devices on one Thunderbolt port (ex. You don't need 6 ports to connect 6 devices).
Like another commenter said, the theoretical speed of Thunderbolt is up to 10GB/s, or 20GB/s for TB2. Whereas USB 3.0 is only 5GB/s. Although the practical speed won't be much different as the hard drives are nowhere close to that speed. A 5400rpm HDD will be >100MB/s, 7200rpm will be ~150MB/s (my numbers might be a little off), SSDs will range from 300MB/s to 700MB/s (depends on the NAND used). With that said, USB 3.0 is good enough for simple storage use (TB might be better for RAID and other storage systems), especially if you count in the cost factor. Your practical transfer speed depend more on the hard drive you use, so I suggest you to spend the money on a good hard drive/SSD.
Because Thunderbolt combines Mini DisplayPort and PCIe. Theoretically, you can get an external PCIe adapter and plug in something like a GPU (assuming the "drivers" and power supports). I'm particularly interesting in this because Apple doesn't like to give you a strong GPUs to drive a 2880x1880 Retina display on a 15" rMBP. Anyway, PCIe is a strong interface and it can add endless possibilities to a Mac. There is more to Thunderbolt than people think.
- Answered by Cong W from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is wrong with USB that I have to use Thunderbolt?)
Is there an adapter available to connect a firewire soundcard to the new mac book pro thunderbolt?
I have a motu 828 MKII soundcard which is connected via firewire to my old mac book pro 2009.
Now I want to upgrade to the new mac book pro, which does not have firewire anymore.
Is there an adapter available to connect firewire to the new thunderbolt interface?
- Asked by Thaddäus W
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there an adapter available to connect a firewire soundcard to the new mac book pro thunderbolt?)
You'll have to wait until the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter" is released. It's due out sometime this month....ish. (July 2012)
Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire
I cannot find a cable to connect my new macbook to my monitor(Cinema Display)
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
You can just use the Mini Display Port cable that came with the 27 inch cinema display. Mini Display Port is the exact same plugin as Thunderbolt, so this is all you need. If you lost the cable, what you're looking for is a Belkin Mini Display port to Mini Display Port cable.
- Answered by Matt M from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
UAD to Thunderbolt
If you upgrade to a new computer one that doesn't have a express card for your laptop then you have to use the thunderbolt option. What I want to know is what adaptor do you use to connect the UAD card to the thunderbolt cable.
- Asked by Alan W from Decatur
- Flag as inappropriate (UAD to Thunderbolt)
Is this cable used to transfer files between two macs?
Hi. I am planning to purchase a new macbook pro since the keyboard of my old one broke. I remember when I first bought this macbook pro, I also bought a cable that transferred all files to from my Macbook. Will this cable do the same things and transfer all files? I am not a tech-person, so I really don't understand the description. It would be great if you could help me. And if this isn't the product, will you please suggest what cable is good for transferring files?
- Asked by Kiyomi R from Carpinteria
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this cable used to transfer files between two macs?)
I can answer this myself as I took a chance and bought the cable. Connect the Mac Mini to the 27" iMac via the Thunderbolt cable and press cmd + F2 on the iMac keyboard to enter target display mode. The iMac becomes the display for the Mini, works a treat.
- Answered by William M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a new Mac Mini to a new iMac for display purposes using the Thunderbolt cable.)
can I connect the thunderbolt cable between macbook pro and ipod touch?
- Asked by Andrew T from Mouterre-sur-blourde
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect the thunderbolt cable between macbook pro and ipod touch?)
can i connect a thunderbolt cable from my macbook air to a lcd screen tv? or is it just ltd to apple peripherals and iMac?
- Asked by Leo J from Silver Spring
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect a thunderbolt cable from my macbook air to a lcd screen tv? or is it just ltd to apple peripherals and iMac?)
Can I use Apple Thunderbolt Cable to hook my 2012 macbook pro retina to a monitor? (Dell U2414H, which accept HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort)
No answers yet
Can this cable be used to transfer digital audio signal to another divice like a DAC?
Can this Thunderbolt cable be used to transfer digital audio signal to another digital divice like a DAC, or a digital multi chanel audio-mixtable ?
(or in the future maybe?)
My main problem is that they have took the digital audio S/P-DFI away from the last generation Mac mini ;(
And there are no other digital audio ports anymore.
(PS: the hdmi port is used for my monitor. (but it have no audio)
and don't talk me about USB output. USB gave always digital distortion (Jitter)
As USB never have been build for this purpose.
- Asked by Anonymous A
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this cable be used to transfer digital audio signal to another divice like a DAC?)
Can I use this cable to connect a New MacPro Thunderbolt 2 port to an Asus monitor using its DisplayPort 1.2 port?
- Asked by Richard D from Kensal Green
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this cable to connect a New MacPro Thunderbolt 2 port to an Asus monitor using its DisplayPort 1.2 port?)
Which versions of the MacBook Pro and Air? This Thunderbolt cable can be use to transfer data from one Thunderbolt equiped mac to another in target disk mode.
- Answered by Carol H from Boulder
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this cable used to transferred data from the MacBook pro to the MacBook Air?)
I would like to split my screen on my mac laptop to HDMI and to VGA. Is that possible with one device?
Essentially I want what is displayed on my Mac to have the ability to be separated on 2 additional screens. Is that possible? This is for work. Thanks
- Asked by Gary S from Staten Island
- Flag as inappropriate (I would like to split my screen on my mac laptop to HDMI and to VGA. Is that possible with one device?)
I'd like to transfer a large number of photos from Mac Air to my iMac. I'd like to do so using Thunderbolt. What adapter do I need?
- Asked by Roger B from Naples
- Flag as inappropriate (I'd like to transfer a large number of photos from Mac Air to my iMac. I'd like to do so using Thunderbolt. What adapter do I need?)
Assuming both those Macs have Thunderbolt ports, this cable should suffice. Plug it into each Mac, restart the source computer while holding the T key and it will appear as an external disk drive on your target computer. Just browse it and copy over the photos you need.
Thunderbolt shorter cable?
Is there a shorter thunderbolt cable?
- Asked by Gabriel R from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt shorter cable?)
I believe the only Apple branded cable that is being sold today is the 2 Meter cable.
There are shorter cable available from third parties. My colleague bought an El Gato branded 1.6ft cable from Amazon because we needed a short patch cable and it worked out fine.
- Answered by Chet D from Fremont
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Thunderbolt shorter cable?)