Questions & Answers for USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
129 Questions from the Community
No. This adapter does not convert HDMI to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode.
This adapter takes an HDMI signal from a PC's USB-C port (probably using USB-C's HDMI Alt Mode or HDMI from DisplayPort dual mode from USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode). HDMI alt mode is limited to 4K 30 Hz.
Since HDMI Alt Mode requires three of the four USB-C Super Speed+ lanes, there are not enough lanes for USB 3.0 (two lanes: one for receive, and one for transmit), therefore this adapter only supports High Speed USB (USB 2.0). It's sad that Apple doesn't mention what speed of USB is supported by this adapter.
There are adapters that can convert HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 but HDMI 1.4 only allows 4K at 30 Hz. I'm not sure if the LG UltraFine 4K supports 4K at 30 Hz. Those adapters require a USB connection for extra power, but the Apple TV doesn't have any USB ports, so you'll need another USB source.
There might be new adapters coming later in 2018 that can convert HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2.
Then you can add a DisplayPort to USB-C cable to connect the adapter to the LG UltraFine 4K. However, the DisplayPort connection does not include USB, so any USB functions of the Display will not work (speakers, brightness control, USB ports). The display only supports USB 2.0, because all four USB-C Super Speed+ lanes are required for 4K at 60 Hz. Even if DisplayPort could pass USB (using the AUX lines), the HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter would not include USB.
The LG UltraFine 5K display can support 5K at 60 Hz and USB 3.0 because Thunderbolt uses the USB-C cable's lanes at twice the speed of USB 3.1 gen 2. However, the LK UltraFine 5K display requires a Thunderbolt 3 connection.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Would this connect a 4th Gen Apple TV HDMI out to USB-C in on an LG UltraFine 4K display?)
Can the usb-c digital AV multi port adapter be used with an iPad.?
- Asked by Gustavo S from Baldwin Park
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the usb-c digital AV multi port adapter be used with an iPad.?)
Has anyone tried this adapter (or the similar VGA adapter) with an Android phone or tablet with USB-C connector?
I'd like to be able to have my Android phone being charged while having it connected to an external USB device that can't charge it (like an external disk or other peripheral). I realize that it's very unlikely that the video port could work, since that would require a specific driver in the phone/tablet, and I don't need that. But if this adapter could provide a standard USB port while allowing charging, that would be very useful.
- Asked by Michael G from Anaheim
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone tried this adapter (or the similar VGA adapter) with an Android phone or tablet with USB-C connector?)
Does this adapter support digital audio that would be compatible with a 7.2 receiver?
- Asked by Alberto H from Winter Garden
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter support digital audio that would be compatible with a 7.2 receiver?)
It only provides 55W of power. It's enough to keep the 2016 15" MBP charged under normal usage, but under heavy load, the battery will drain even while plugged in. I discovered this today while video editing.
- Answered by Mathew S from Eagle Mountain
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What wattage can the USB-C power delivery supply? Can it charge the 2016 15" MBP? (87W))
will the USB port work with an external CD/DVD player
I have a Cocopa USB 3.0 External CD Drive, CD/DVD-RW Drive, CD-RW Rewriter Burner. It plugs into the USB port and the power lights up and the disc turns, but it does not appear in "Finder" . The player works fine plugging it into a USB port on an older Mac laptop.
- Asked by Scott D from Palm City
- Flag as inappropriate (will the USB port work with an external CD/DVD player)
can i connect a usb hub to the single usb port? what about connecting the belkin usb 3.0 hub which also has an ethernet connector?
- Asked by James M from Honolulu
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect a usb hub to the single usb port? what about connecting the belkin usb 3.0 hub which also has an ethernet connector?)
No answers yet
New MacBooks use only WiFi. Can the Apple USB-C Digital AVA Multiport Adapter handle Ethernet connections? If not, what are other options?
- Asked by Walter H from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (New MacBooks use only WiFi. Can the Apple USB-C Digital AVA Multiport Adapter handle Ethernet connections? If not, what are other options?)
No answers yet
Can it support a USB splitter?
Given that this is the only way to connect to the new macbook, can you connect a splitter to this adapter? For example, my iTunes library is on an external USB drive. if i wanted to sync my iPhone, without using wifi sync, can i connect the USB drive AND the iPhone to this adapter via a splitter? for me this is a key answer for whether I can buy the new macbook or not
- Asked by Richard H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it support a USB splitter?)
Does this adapter allow all three ports to be used at the same time?
In other words, if I were to purchase this adapter, would that allow me to, for example, charge an iphone and transfer from a thumb drive simultaneously?
- Asked by Lynda H from Salem
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter allow all three ports to be used at the same time?)
Video output options are limited. See description.
As Apple offers this adapter for HDMI output, which is limited resolution, question one is can you then use a HDMI to DVI adapter to connect a DVI monitor? Secondly, the specs page says (in part) "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors" and later "Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output" So that would support this resolution, at unknown refresh rate, but how? Will there be another forthcoming USB-C to mini DisplayPort adapter that could then be re-adapted to Dual-Link DVI or connected to a supported UHD display?
- Asked by Bradley D from Nesconset
- Flag as inappropriate (Video output options are limited. See description.)
Would it work if i reverse it?
So i plug the male end of the adaptor to the USB-C charger i got with my macbook and then be able to plug a USB-C cable into the female port and plug a lightning cable into the USB port and be able to charge my iPhone and Macbook at the same time ?
- Asked by Adrian A from Caringbah
- Flag as inappropriate (Would it work if i reverse it?)
Can't charge iPhone 5 using the USB port of this adapter
I can't charge my iPhone 5 using the USB port of this adapter - is something wrong with my adapter or is that by design? If so, I am surprised that you didn't mention it, it seems like a pretty basic requirement.
- Asked by Andrea J from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Can't charge iPhone 5 using the USB port of this adapter)