Questions & Answers for Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter
99 Questions from the Community
An enterprise client reported success when using this adapter with a USB scanner and an iPad Pro to record and validate barcodes in the cloud (i.e. for badges, IDs, etc.).
- Answered by Richard E from Windham
- Aug. 14, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a USB device like a badge scanner to this adapter in to an iPad? Thanks! Nish)
Does the USB 3 adapter support external hard drives?
Can the USB 3 adapter be used with and external hard drive for storage of photos, music, etc.
- Asked by Walter B from Amherstview
- Dec. 13, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the USB 3 adapter support external hard drives?)
The Lightning USB 3 adapter allows for the import of supported files only. If the external hard drive has supported files, it can allow for the import of them. They may have to be in a folder labelled DCIM in order to be detected.
- Answered by Philip S from Toronto
- Feb. 28, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the USB 3 adapter support external hard drives?)
Yes, but maybe not the way you mean. The Lightning port is for supplying power (only) while the USB3 port transfers data.
- Answered by Mark W from Houston
- Sep. 29, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter has 2 ports. Can USB port and Lightning port be used at the same time?)
Video from 8 Plus to 12.9" Pro (2nd Gen)
I am trying to get video shot in (in Filmic Pro, and up to 15gb of raw data) transferred from my iPhone 8 Plus to my iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd Gen) while in the field (no external power is available), will this work using this set up (knowing I need a USB drive)?
Currently using a Sandisk ixpand drive, but the transfer times taking off the phone, and then to the ipad are incredibly slow.
Plus, and really worse, it really drains significant battery life from both.
If no, might you have any suggestions as to how to get this done?
- Asked by Michael T from Hastings
- Jan. 14, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (Video from 8 Plus to 12.9" Pro (2nd Gen))
Can I connect lightning to 3.5mm to this?
- Asked by Anthony A from Houston
- Sep. 16, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect lightning to 3.5mm to this?)
Will it read from both SD cards on a Fujifilm X-T2 with this adaptor?
I'm curious to know if this will read from both memory cards in my Fujifilm X-T2. I write JPEG+RAW to one card and H.264 to the second SD card.
- Asked by Anonymous
- Jun. 14, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it read from both SD cards on a Fujifilm X-T2 with this adaptor?)
Will use usb flash drive work on iPad
- Asked by Rashmi T from Mumbai
- Jul. 26, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will use usb flash drive work on iPad)
Yes !!! You can use your FENDER MUSTANG amplifier v2 as an audio interface to send digital audio (with almost zero latency) to Loopy, Jamup, Amplitube, Ampkit, Garageband, MidiGuitar, AudioBus and hopefully to dozens of similar apps.
- Answered by Thanos D
- Jul. 17, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i send digital audio (live) from FENDER MUSTANG amplifier v2 through this adapter to Loopy ?)
Does this adapter works with Canon 5D Mark II? Or will it pop up ‘this device used too much power’?
I’m looking for an adapter to enable my camera to be transferring photos to my iPad. Since I’m going a trip soon where I’ll not going to take my laptop along with me, so I’m looking for an alternative to transfer my photo from camera to my iPad. However there’s a lot of complaints said this adapter is not functioning, is it true? I’m planning to use it along with my Canon 5D Mark II, iPad Air and iPhone 6.
- Asked by Francis T from Butterworth
- Jun. 18, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter works with Canon 5D Mark II? Or will it pop up ‘this device used too much power’?)
Will this work with an SD card reader?
It's a Rocketek USB 3.0 memory card reader.
- Asked by Katelyn F from Cave Creek
- Jun. 18, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with an SD card reader?)
Does it work with Olympus OMD EM1 series cameras?
Was thinking rather then getting the SD Card reader from 3rd party, wondering if this works better or rather, if it works.
- Asked by Ming Tak C
- Jun. 6, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it work with Olympus OMD EM1 series cameras?)
Is this product work for the GoPro 5 to connect to the iPhone X?
- Asked by Yi Hang L from Richmond
- Mar. 9, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this product work for the GoPro 5 to connect to the iPhone X?)
As long as it uses a USB connection, yes it will. If the iPhone says the GoPro needs too much power, just plug a powered Lightning cable into the port on the dongle.
- Answered by Connor M from Gladstone
- Apr. 8, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this product work for the GoPro 5 to connect to the iPhone X?)
Does the powered camera connection kit power the iPad also (i.e. whilst connected to a 'Steinberg UR22 mk2' USB self powered audio interface)?
iPad Pro 9.7" CCK charging question
No answers yet
As long as your keyboard doesn’t draw much power (backlit or built in USB ports ext.) this should work perfectly for you, I use it all the time for keyboards. Also when flying once you put you phone in Airplane Mode you can then go back to the Bluetooth settings and turn Bluetooth back on without effecting the aircraft as it’s the cellular signal not the Bluetooth signal that interferes with flight systems.
- Answered by Stephen C from Paradise
- Dec. 9, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I plug a computer keyboard into the USB port? I'm trying to use a keyboard on a plane (no Bluetooth on planes).)
Is the second lightning port on the adapter fully functional?
I have have an Irig pro audio interface which uses lightning to connect to my iPhone.
I was wondering if the second lightning adapter port is fullly functional and not just for power?
My iteration is to plug in a usb keyboard into the USB port and use the other lightning port for the the irig audio interface.
- Asked by Stephen M
- Nov. 19, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the second lightning port on the adapter fully functional?)
I learned that the lightning port is only for power under the worst way !!!
I have an iphone 7 were the screen went black, so I hooked it through a lightning to HDMI to my TV and I could see the iphone unlock display but of course I could not enter the unlock code touching the glass so I plugged the lightning side of the lightning to USB 3 adapter to the lightning port of the HDMI port and a keyboard to the USB 3 port.
Lo and behold, the data from the keyboard going out on the lightning to USB adapter didn't reach the iphone because the lightning port of the HDMI adapter is only for power and the same goes to the USB 3 adapter.
Unfortunately the engineers who designed both adapters never though that limiting the lightning port use for providing only power was not a good idea !!!
If some one could design a smart lightning hub, that would be great !
- Answered by Roberto S from Aventura
- Apr. 5, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the second lightning port on the adapter fully functional?)
does USB 3 Camera adapter work with Scarlett 2i2
does USB 3 Camera adapter work with Scarlett 2i2
- Asked by J P R
- Jan. 16, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (does USB 3 Camera adapter work with Scarlett 2i2)
Yes, it does. Tried and tested. You can do sampling in Garageband if that’s your thing.
- Answered by Balázs M
- Feb. 17, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does USB 3 Camera adapter work with Scarlett 2i2)
Is it fully compatible with iPad Mini first gen?
In the compatibility list says it is, but it doesn't work with mine, it says "the connected device requieres too much power". I'm using the iPad power adapter ofcourse. The device i'm trying to connect is a Focusrite 2i2, it works just fine with the iPhone SE, but the iPad is not working with it. Please let me know if there's a fix for this, thanks!
- Asked by Ivan V
- Mar. 9, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it fully compatible with iPad Mini first gen?)