How much electrical is required to charge the latest MacBook Pro 13"
My Late 2016 (the newest model) was purchased for use on a sailboat. I'm beginning to prepare a power use spreadsheet that totals the amp-hours, watts and time required for all of the electrical items on board. This is required since many of the other electrical systems are designed around the electric power needed. Thanks.
- Asked by Thomas W D from Empire
- Flag as inappropriate (How much electrical is required to charge the latest MacBook Pro 13")
1 Answer from the Community
This may not be the greatest answer, so take it with a giant grain of salt.
I assume you're asking about how much 120V power you need (not the DC going into the macbook).
Two methods. Both require a "guess" about charging efficiency.
1. Battery holds XX mW-hours. In a perfect world, just divide this by 120V and that's how many mA hours (or by 120,000 for amp-hours) the battery holds. Then, take a guess at charging efficiency and increase the amp-hours accordingly (my wild guess is 75% so I'd divide by 0.75).
2. Look on the power adapter case. It rates the input and output (very fine print). Your charger should never draw more than that input rating (120V @ XXXX AMPS). Not sure if the 60W name of the adapter is an output power our input power. But if it is input, the most that the adapter would ever draw from the 120 supply would be 0.5A while charging.
- Answered by Web W from Carlsbad
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I charge the MacBook Pro 13" 2016 with it?
- Asked by Fredy S from Montreal
- Nov 21, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I charge the MacBook Pro 13" 2016 with it?)
- Asked about: 29W USB‑C Power Adapter
How much power does it provide to charge a connected 15" MacBook Pro (2016)?
- Asked by Ankur J from Seattle
- Oct 12, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (How much power does it provide to charge a connected 15" MacBook Pro (2016)?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 8TB G-RAID with Thunde…
Will a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) be able to connect to this and if so what type of adapter will I require?
- Asked by John B from Aiea
- Nov 14, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) be able to connect to this and if so what type of adapter will I require?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display