How closely matched does a replacement drive have to be? Can a drive be identical in size but different speed (access time / rpm)?
1 Answer from the Community
Being as this is either configured as RAID 5 (factory) or RAID 6 (user) you need to make sure that the drives are identical. Using non spec, non enterprise grade drives compromises the integrity of the RAID. Using a RAID 5 configuration, you can rebuild the RAID if one disk fails. It takes about a day to rebuild the RAID. If you lose another drive while rebuilding the RAID, ALL of the data is lost. RAID 6 allows for a 2 drive failure, at the expense of capacity. The best bet is to order replacement drives from Promise.
- Answered by Anthony A from Loveland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
What is the RPM for this drive?
- Asked by Edwin Y T from Calgary
- Mar 2, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the RPM for this drive?)
- Asked about: LaCie 2TB Porsche Design USB-C + US…
Is this 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM?
- Asked by Reuben D from Flushing
- Oct 17, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE USB-C Exte…
As a PC user wanting this is a router and an external hard drive. Is there any difference between this and the previous 2011 Time Capsule model?
- Asked by Ronan M
- Jul 28, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (As a PC user wanting this is a router and an external hard drive. Is there any difference between this and the previous 2011 Time Capsule model?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB