Will this device work with thunderbolt 1?
I own a mac book pro early 2011 which does not have a thunderbolt 2, but the earlier thunderbolt port. It also only has usb 2.0 ports. I want to connect to a usb 3 hard drive and a display so am looking for a thunderbolt hub with both usb 3 and thunderbolt. Will this do the job?
- Asked by Matthew B from Oatlands
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this device work with thunderbolt 1?)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, the Belkin product page for this dock specifically mentions both Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 compatibility.
You should be able to use any Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 2, or Thunderbolt 1 dock with the MacBook Pro 2011.
Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 use the same cables.
A Thunderbolt 3 dock requires an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable. It may also require a Thunderbolt 3 enabler software patch "tb3-enabler" if System Information.app says the device is unsupported.
Note that Thunderbolt only allows up to 10 Gb/sec but that's still twice as fast as a USB 3.1 gen 1 port (5 Gb/sec). Thunderbolt 2 allows 20 Gb/sec. Thunderbolt 3 allows up to 40 Gb/sec.
I don't know of any Thunderbolt docks that have USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gb/sec). Many have USB 3.1 gen 1 (5 Gb/sec).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
connecting a USBc (USB3.1gen 1) DEVICE... to a Mac Pro ("trash can" Mac) which is Thunderbolt 2
- Asked by Bradly B from Dunkirk
- Feb 23, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (connecting a USBc (USB3.1gen 1) DEVICE... to a Mac Pro ("trash can" Mac) which is Thunderbolt 2)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Cable (0.5 m)
Does this adapter work with Thunderbolt 1?
- Asked by Jeremy L from Pleasant View
- Feb 9, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work with Thunderbolt 1?)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …
How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Diego G from Salvador
- Oct 29, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…