Is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) compatible with this 5K display?
What cables or adapters do I need to connect this monitor to MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)?
What cables or adapters do I need to connect this monitor to MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)?
1 Answer from the Community
The LG UltraFine 5K display is a Thunderbolt 3 display. It uses two DisplayPort 1.2 signals that are transmitted over Thunderbolt 3.
The LG UltraFine 5K can be connected to Macs that have Thunderbolt 2 using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. They are limited to 4K (3840x2160@60Hz) or lower (3200x1800@60Hz) as described in Apple support document HT207448 "Use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with your Mac".
The MacBook Pro only has Thunderbolt 2. It also only has Intel Iris Graphics so it might not even support 3200x1800@60Hz (it is not listed in HT207448). It may be possible to use an eGPU such as the BlackMagic eGPU to get 5K (see the eGPU.io forums for build guides).
The MacBook does not have Thunderbolt, therefore it cannot provide video to the LG UltraFine 5K directly. It may be possible to get 4K using a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card such as the GC-TITAN RIDGE. The add-in card must be powered by a PCIe slot. The USB functions of the display will not be usable by the MacBook though (brightness control, camera, audio, USB ports). The USB functions might be usable by the computer that the PCIe slot is connected to.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does this adapter support a MacBook USB superdrive?
- Asked by Brianna H from East Albury
- Jan 31, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter support a MacBook USB superdrive?)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
what cable do i use to connect my 2013 MacBook Pro Retina to an external monitor
- Asked by John O from The Woodlands
- Dec 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (what cable do i use to connect my 2013 MacBook Pro Retina to an external monitor)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Using the old Mag Safe power adapter on my new Mac Book Air (2013)
- Asked by Max P from New York
- Jan 2, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Using the old Mag Safe power adapter on my new Mac Book Air (2013))
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter f…