Will charging my Macbook Pro Touch-Bar 2017 (13”) with this damage the battery?
So i bought this product to charge my Macbook Pro 2017, however, in the store the stuff warned me that charging with this powerbank can damage my battery permanently. They said that the charge is slow and that Macbook needs at least 61 watt to charge properly, while this powerbank output is only 30 watt. So the question remains, can i use this powerbank safely even though the charge will be slow?
- Asked by Who M from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Will charging my Macbook Pro Touch-Bar 2017 (13”) with this damage the battery?)
2 Answers from the Community
I have been using this powerbank to charge my MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar for more about nine months and my MacBook battery condition is 'normal'...since it's 30w and the MacBook charger is 61w, if you're streaming video, it might not charge or it may just maintain charge because the drain on the battery exceeds the charge it is receiving...if I lower the screen brightness slightly, the battery charges...the below is from Apple's website for the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL
"The mophie powerstation USB-C XXL high-capacity universal battery delivers enough power to charge your USB-C MacBook Pro as well as your iPhone and iPad. This advanced 19,500mAh battery provides rapid charging rates up to 30W, so you can fast charge two power-hungry devices at once".
- Answered by Craig S from Poughkeepsie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I wouldn’t recommend charging your Macbook Pro if your Macbook Pro needs at least 61W.
The Mophie XXL is 30W, so if you charge your 61W device with it, it will damage your battery life long term.
- Answered by Timothy L from Davie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this charge a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar?
- Asked by Alex N from Chicago
- Dec 17, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this charge a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar?)
- Asked about: 87W USB-C Power Adapter
What powerbank can I use for MacBook Pro 13, 2017 ?
- Asked by Van T
- Aug 10, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (What powerbank can I use for MacBook Pro 13, 2017 ?)
- Asked about: 61W USB-C Power Adapter