Is there a way to connect two Mac's to one monitor?
I have a Mac Mini server and a 17" MacBook Pro and would like to connect both to my 24" Mac Display. Both have the mini display port. Is there a switcher available to do this?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to connect two Mac's to one monitor?)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, a KVM switch allows you to use the same keyboard, mouse and monitor for multiple computers. I have used the 4way IOGEAR KVM for years, and it's great (looks like a thinner mac mini) for my Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and Dell Latitude and switch between. When I want to watch CSI on the MacMini and also work on the Dell, I use Remote Desktop to put the dell screen on part of my 24" Acer monitor, same for the MBP, using CVNC (Chicken of the VNC). Bang, there, you go! Note - You may only have two now - but get the 4 way, in case you have a "visitor" or want to add another.
BTW: my gear= IOGEAR 4 way KVM GCS634U, Apple kbd, Acer 24" monitor, Logitech two button scroll mouse. The Mac Mini and the Dell do a great job of auto recognising the kvm monitor. The MacBook Pro does not, and needs to have a prefs visit to "detect displays" on every boot.
Hope this helps -
- Answered by John G from Richmond
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is there a way to partition this disk into two separate ones
- Asked by Joel T from Folsom
- Jul 4, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to partition this disk into two separate ones)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Rugged USB-C + USB 3.0 Po…
Can you use an iPad hdmi adapter to connect to two monitors?
- Asked by Joshua W from Ashland
- Nov 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use an iPad hdmi adapter to connect to two monitors?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter
How many monitors can I connect to this connector?
- Asked by Cosmin I from Sequim
- Dec 21, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How many monitors can I connect to this connector?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter