What cable will connect my new macbook pro to an eizo CG 245W monitor (that will allow 10 bit colour)?
1 Answer from the Community
The User Manual for the CG245W monitor says 10 bit color (10 bits per component = 30 bits per pixel) is supported using the DisplayPort 1.1a input. You need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect your MacBook Pro to the display.
If you also want to use the DVI-I inputs, a Dual-Link DVI adapter will work with the CG245W but the CG245W will only use a Single-Link signal, so you should choose a Mini DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI adapter to save money.
DVI-D can support 1920x1200 @ 60Hz 24 bpp using a CVT-RB timing (154MHz pixel clock) = 3.696 Gbps.
However, 30 bpp requires 4.62 Gbps which exceeds the usual DVI-D (single link) max of 3.96 Gbps.
Maybe reduced resolution or refresh rate will allow 30 bit color via DVI-D?
HDMI is the same as DVI-D except it can support higher bit rates in newer versions. Some DVI-D connectors on some PC motherboards can actually do HDMI 1.4 at up to 10.88 Gbps. Probably only displays supporting HDMI 1.4 or greater will accept such a signal.
DisplayPort 1.1a supports up to 8.64 Gbps.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire
- Asked by Jay B S from Odessa
- Aug 21, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my 2011 macbook pro to a Cinema Display with thunderbolt or Firewire)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
Will this adapter allow me to connect an LG 27UK850 monitor (with USB-C) to my MacBook Pro (13", Early 2015) using a Thunderbolt 2 cable?
- Asked by Philip B from Rancho Murieta
- Apr 22, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow me to connect an LG 27UK850 monitor (with USB-C) to my MacBook Pro (13", Early 2015) using a Thunderbolt 2 cable?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
Does this display support 10 bit colour?
- Asked by Paul M from Marrickville
- May 13, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this display support 10 bit colour?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display