Can I use this to transfer my files/applications in my MBP to the new Mac Air?
Everytime I buy a new MacBook Pro I get to transfer my applications and files from my older MacBook to the new MacBook when I start up my new MacBook. I am buying a Mac Air in a few days and I need to do the same but the new MacAir has no ethernet port. Can I, therefore, use this accessory to transfer my files/applications from my current MBP to the new Mac Air which I will order?
- Asked by Emmanuel B from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer my files/applications in my MBP to the new Mac Air?)
3 Answers from the Community
You should be able to.
- Answered by Derek K from Hanover
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, you could. But you probably wouldn't want to.
The USB Ethernet adapter is a 10/100Mbps network adapter, meaning it's max speed is 100 megabits (Mb) per second.
The current generation of MacbookAir has 802.11n wireless which has a max speed of over 200Mbps, if connected to an wireless-N network.
So, if you have a MBP with wireless-N connected to an WiFi-N network, or if your MBP is connected via hardline to your WiFi-N router, than transferring over the wireless will be faster than using a hard line.
However, if you don't have a router, or have a wireless-G or slower router, you'd be limited to 54Mbps on G or .. well, no connection without. So, you'd want to use this adapter. Either by connecting through a router/hub/switch, (MBA--hub--MBP) or with a crossover cable (MBA=x=MBP) though using a crossover cable requires some extra configuration and a crossover cable or adapter.
Hope this answers your question!
- Answered by J N from Northbridge
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Clarification: a crossover cable is NOT required on modern Macs. Any ethernet patch cable will work. The onboard NICs on all Intel Macs have Auto-MDIX.
- Answered by Joe N from Townsend
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
can I transfer Office documents from a PC laptop to a new MacBook Air?
- Asked by Angie W from North Vernon
- Mar 20, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (can I transfer Office documents from a PC laptop to a new MacBook Air?)
- Asked about: Microsoft Office Home & Student 201…
Does using this increase latency in audio transfer between a new MBP and an apogee audio interface?
- Asked by James K
- Apr 6, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Does using this increase latency in audio transfer between a new MBP and an apogee audio interface?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
can I transfer photos from iPad to Mac?
- Asked by Dodie C from Brookline
- Mar 23, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (can I transfer photos from iPad to Mac?)
- Asked about: Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader