Can I use a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor to share my hotel wifi connection to a router so all my devices can access the hotel wifi?
I was thinking of using sharing wifi over thunderbolt bridge, and hard wiring the thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor into a wifi router to create a wifi hotspot in my hotel room. I often stay at a hotel with no ethernet and want to share the 1 device wifi pass with all my devices. Is this possible?
3 Answers from the Community
You can. Go to system preferences > sharing > network sharing and share your connection over ethernet to Wifi. Set a password, and let it run. Any device should be able to connect to that wifi network, and your computer's network will still function.
- Answered by Ryan F from Larkspur
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I'm doing this right now. I have "enhanced" wifi at the hotel with my MacBook and then ethernet to a wireless router. You have to make sure that DHCP is disabled on the wireless router though. It's been working great for about a month now.
- Answered by Emmanuel B from Bay Point
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I dont think you will be able to connect more than 1 device to your laptops hotspot, but it should work for your phone or something like that. I haven't stayed in many hotels that have an ethernet connection in the room, but more a wifi extension thing on the ceiling or in the corridor, with no where to plug an ethernet chord in.
Hope this helped :)
- Answered by Jonathan H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can you use it in a hotel to create a more secured wifi connection
- Asked by Dennis J P from Sinajana
- Feb 24, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use it in a hotel to create a more secured wifi connection)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can I connect the hub to the router through an access point
- Asked by Carleton M from Laguna Niguel
- Dec 5, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect the hub to the router through an access point)
- Asked about: Philips HUE HomeKit Upgrade Bridge …
If hooked up at a hotel will this help wifi signal
- Asked by Colin M from Oshawa
- Nov 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (If hooked up at a hotel will this help wifi signal)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB