Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?
I have a MacBook Air and the USB ethernet adapter. I'm getting the new Macbook Pro with Retina display. So would this be a good idea to buy this adapter to Thunderbolt instead of using the the USB adapter? Would I get a better connecting? Would I need a special internet connection or will any due?
2 Answers from the Community
This product will work exactly like the USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, but instead use your Thunderbolt port. It does not need any special type of internet connection, just standard RJ-45 ethernet cabling. It will work with any new Mac with a Thunderbolt port, along with any Mac that has a Thunderbolt port (excluding MiniDisplay port).
This adapter will have much faster speeds than the prior USB version because it is Gigabit (10/100/1000 vs 10/100 for the USB Ethernet Adapter). As long as you have a Thunderbolt port, I would highly recommend using this one if you are debating between the two.
- Answered by Jeffrey Y from Westmont
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Chase, thanks for your question. The internet connection you have now will work fine. You stated you have a MBA with the USB to Ethernet adapter. That will most definitely work with your new Retina MBP. If you would like GIgabit Ethernet speeds though, then buy the Thunderbolt Adapter, which is not backwards compatible to computers without a Thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Joshua G from Ft Lauderdale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
would this work with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter to connect to the internet
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxx
- May 12, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (would this work with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter to connect to the internet)
- Asked about: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
I need the ability to connect to ethernet. Will this adapter AND a Apple USB to ethernet adapter allow me to access a network via ethernet?
- Asked by Bill K from Hamilton
- Apr 23, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I need the ability to connect to ethernet. Will this adapter AND a Apple USB to ethernet adapter allow me to access a network via ethernet?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter