Will this work with my (very old gen3) ipod?
I have had my ipod since 2003 and it has been working fine for me ever since. I understand that to transfer my songs from my ipod to a mac, I will need to download a specific type of software for that to work. I do not want to lose the music that is currently on there (approx. 3000), but do want to transfer to my new macbook pro. Will the Thunderbolt read my ipod?
- Asked by fn from Te Atatu Peninsula
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with my (very old gen3) ipod?)
1 Answer from the Community
The 3rd Generation iPod was the first model to feature a dock connector, and had the play/pause, menu, forward, and back buttons in a line above the touch wheel.
You can Identify your iPod Model at Apple Support KB article HT1353
If this is the case, any USB or Firewire 400 to Dock Connector cable should be OK to use, just use a USB one, and plug it directly into your MacBook.
If you have a first or 2nd generation iPod (With a physical wheel, or a touch wheel with buttons arranged around the wheel (but not on the wheel) and with a FireWire port on the top of the unit (no dock connector) you will additionally need a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable. You can plug the FW400 end into the iPod, and the FireWire 800 end will fit into this accessory. You can then use a specialist piece of software to extract the music from your iPod.
- Answered by Silas P from Elwood
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does this work with the 12.9" Gen 3 iPad Pro?
- Asked by Cullen F from Natick
- Nov 20, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with the 12.9" Gen 3 iPad Pro?)
- Asked about: Gamevice Controller for 12.9-inch i…
Does this cable work with the old 60GB ipod?
- Asked by Anonymous A
- Oct 20, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this cable work with the old 60GB ipod?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
does this fit the gen 3 ipad?
- Asked by Nathan H
- Jun 8, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (does this fit the gen 3 ipad?)
- Asked about: iPad Smart Cover - Charcoal Gray
No answers yet