Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?
i.e. will it support two instances of Time Machine so both Macs can independently backup to the Time Capsule?
3 Answers from the Community
Yes, the Time Capsule will do this without any setup differences of any kind. Once you establish a connection by entering in the Time Capsule's drive password, then the rest is just the same as backing up the first Mac.
I have two Macs that I am backing up, and found it incredibly simple.
- Answered by Shawn F from Riverside
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes just set it up on both devices. Make sure they have distinct names if they are the same make and model machine so you know which is which. When on the network you can open the container for the files and view your back up files inside. A very cool feature of it is using it as a network external drive. Make sure you encrypt it as well, for both machines backup.
- Answered by Jennafer Y from Kayenta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Yes, you can do that. I just bought a Time Capsule and am currently backing up simultaneously my MBA and my husband's MBA.
- Answered by Rina B from Manila
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Is there a way to partition this disk into two separate ones
- Asked by Joel T from Folsom
- Jul 4, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to partition this disk into two separate ones)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Rugged USB-C + USB 3.0 Po…
can I back up 2 macs on the same external HD using Time Machine?
- Asked by Tim W from Fort Worth
- May 23, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (can I back up 2 macs on the same external HD using Time Machine?)
- Asked about: Mac
Can this drive be used by two computers at the same time
- Asked by Jason S from Bowling Green
- Feb 14, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this drive be used by two computers at the same time)
- Asked about: PROMISE Pegasus2 R8 32TB (8 x 4TB) …