Questions & Answers for USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
128 Questions from the Community
No. This adapter does not convert HDMI to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode.
This adapter takes an HDMI signal from a PC's USB-C port (probably using USB-C's HDMI Alt Mode or HDMI from DisplayPort dual mode from USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode). HDMI alt mode is limited to 4K 30 Hz.
Since HDMI Alt Mode requires three of the four USB-C Super Speed+ lanes, there are not enough lanes for USB 3.0 (two lanes: one for receive, and one for transmit), therefore this adapter only supports High Speed USB (USB 2.0). It's sad that Apple doesn't mention what speed of USB is supported by this adapter.
There are adapters that can convert HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 but HDMI 1.4 only allows 4K at 30 Hz. I'm not sure if the LG UltraFine 4K supports 4K at 30 Hz. Those adapters require a USB connection for extra power, but the Apple TV doesn't have any USB ports, so you'll need another USB source.
There might be new adapters coming later in 2018 that can convert HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2.
Then you can add a DisplayPort to USB-C cable to connect the adapter to the LG UltraFine 4K. However, the DisplayPort connection does not include USB, so any USB functions of the Display will not work (speakers, brightness control, USB ports). The display only supports USB 2.0, because all four USB-C Super Speed+ lanes are required for 4K at 60 Hz. Even if DisplayPort could pass USB (using the AUX lines), the HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter would not include USB.
The LG UltraFine 5K display can support 5K at 60 Hz and USB 3.0 because Thunderbolt uses the USB-C cable's lanes at twice the speed of USB 3.1 gen 2. However, the LK UltraFine 5K display requires a Thunderbolt 3 connection.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Jan 4, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Would this connect a 4th Gen Apple TV HDMI out to USB-C in on an LG UltraFine 4K display?)
Has anyone tried this adapter (or the similar VGA adapter) with an Android phone or tablet with USB-C connector?
I'd like to be able to have my Android phone being charged while having it connected to an external USB device that can't charge it (like an external disk or other peripheral). I realize that it's very unlikely that the video port could work, since that would require a specific driver in the phone/tablet, and I don't need that. But if this adapter could provide a standard USB port while allowing charging, that would be very useful.
- Asked by Michael G from Anaheim
- Apr 5, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone tried this adapter (or the similar VGA adapter) with an Android phone or tablet with USB-C connector?)
Will a 2017 iMac -> USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter -> HDMI to Dual-Link DVI-D adapter -> Apple Cinema HD 30" Display work at 2560 X 1600 at 60Hz?
Will a 2017 iMac connected to a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter connected to an HDMI to Dual-Link DVI-D adapter connected to an Apple Cinema HD 30" Display work at 2560 X 1600 at 60Hz?
What about a Macbook Pro?
That will only work at 1280 x 800 60 Hz (Single Link, not Dual Link).
Many (or all) HDMI to Dual Link DVI-D adapters do not actually support Dual Link signals. The female Dual Link DVI-D connector of those adapters has a receptacle that accepts a Dual Link male cable (more pins than Single Link cable), but only the Single Link signal is passed (because HDMI is Single Link). They don't do any conversion at all.
You need a USB-C to mini DisplayPort female adapter. Then you can connect an Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. You can tell it's a real Dual-Link adapter because it requires extra power which it gets using a USB connection.
You could also use the mini DisplayPort output of a Thunderbolt 3 dock such as the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.
Or you could use the mini DisplayPort output of a USB-C dock. Some support 4K 30 Hz and USB 3.0. Others may support 4K 60 Hz but only USB 2.0 (because USB-C is slower than Thunderbolt 3 so it can't support both 4K 60 Hz and USB 3.0). Either will work with 2560 x 1600 60 Hz.
The Thunderbolt 3 ports of the iMac and MacBook Pro support both USB-C docks and devices and Thunderbolt 3 docks and devices.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Dec 19, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will a 2017 iMac -> USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter -> HDMI to Dual-Link DVI-D adapter -> Apple Cinema HD 30" Display work at 2560 X 1600 at 60Hz?)
Does this adapter support digital audio that would be compatible with a 7.2 receiver?
- Asked by Alberto H from Winter Garden
- Mar 5, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter support digital audio that would be compatible with a 7.2 receiver?)
will the USB port work with an external CD/DVD player
I have a Cocopa USB 3.0 External CD Drive, CD/DVD-RW Drive, CD-RW Rewriter Burner. It plugs into the USB port and the power lights up and the disc turns, but it does not appear in "Finder" . The player works fine plugging it into a USB port on an older Mac laptop.
- Asked by Scott D from Palm City
- Feb 5, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (will the USB port work with an external CD/DVD player)
It only provides 55W of power. It's enough to keep the 2016 15" MBP charged under normal usage, but under heavy load, the battery will drain even while plugged in. I discovered this today while video editing.
- Answered by Mathew S from Eagle Mountain
- Mar 24, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What wattage can the USB-C power delivery supply? Can it charge the 2016 15" MBP? (87W))
New MacBooks use only WiFi. Can the Apple USB-C Digital AVA Multiport Adapter handle Ethernet connections? If not, what are other options?
- Asked by Walter H from New York
- Mar 24, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (New MacBooks use only WiFi. Can the Apple USB-C Digital AVA Multiport Adapter handle Ethernet connections? If not, what are other options?)
No answers yet
Can it support a USB splitter?
Given that this is the only way to connect to the new macbook, can you connect a splitter to this adapter? For example, my iTunes library is on an external USB drive. if i wanted to sync my iPhone, without using wifi sync, can i connect the USB drive AND the iPhone to this adapter via a splitter? for me this is a key answer for whether I can buy the new macbook or not
- Asked by Richard H
- Mar 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it support a USB splitter?)
can i connect a usb hub to the single usb port? what about connecting the belkin usb 3.0 hub which also has an ethernet connector?
- Asked by James M from Honolulu
- Apr 16, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect a usb hub to the single usb port? what about connecting the belkin usb 3.0 hub which also has an ethernet connector?)
No answers yet
Could the USB-C port be cascaded with another multiport adapter? Or, is this USB-C port only dedicated for power adapter?
Could the USB-C port be cascaded with another multiport adapter? (In order to get more USB ports) Or, is this USB-C port on sigle multiport adapter only dedicated for power adapter?
Can this adapter be used with an Amazon Fire Stick? As in can I plug my fire stick in the HDMI port and access my television media?
- Asked by Kerry T from Gary
- Jan 23, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with an Amazon Fire Stick? As in can I plug my fire stick in the HDMI port and access my television media?)
No answers yet
Does the USB port pass through the DisplaPort signal?
USB-A to to DisplayPort adapter cables are now available, but the only thing standing in the way of using a mix of third-party solutions to connect the new USB-C Macbook to a DisplayPort external display is the lack of a splitter cable. In other words, you can connect to USB-A devices and DisplayPort-enabled displays from the single USB-C port, but you can't charge the laptop at the same time. If this accessory passes-through the DisplayPort signal to the USB-A port, then the Startech USB-A to DisplayPort adapter cable would enable simultaneous external display and charging.
- Asked by Garrison C from Fairbanks
- Feb 24, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the USB port pass through the DisplaPort signal?)
Does this adapter allow all three ports to be used at the same time?
In other words, if I were to purchase this adapter, would that allow me to, for example, charge an iphone and transfer from a thumb drive simultaneously?
- Asked by Lynda H from Salem
- Apr 5, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter allow all three ports to be used at the same time?)
Can't charge iPhone 5 using the USB port of this adapter
I can't charge my iPhone 5 using the USB port of this adapter - is something wrong with my adapter or is that by design? If so, I am surprised that you didn't mention it, it seems like a pretty basic requirement.
- Asked by Andrea J from New York
- Oct 22, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can't charge iPhone 5 using the USB port of this adapter)