Questions & Answers for USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
130 Questions from the Community
Does the USB A port support external hard drives that draw their power from the USB port? And does it need to be plugged in to do this?Answer
I have used this adaptor with my 2016 MacBook and successfully run a WD Essential USB disk with it. The drive draws all its power from the adapter. I initially used it with the adaptor plugged into the wall socket for power and the disk operated fine. When I unplugged the USB-C lead supplying power to the adapter the HD ungracefully ejected itself and powered down. I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in again with no power connected and it worked fine. So, in summary, this adapter supports a WD Essential drive that draws power from it and will operate with or without power, but I would avoid either plugging, or unplugging the adapter with a disk mounted to it. I only tested it with a WD Essential, other disks may draw more power and not work with this adapter.
Any one know how much power the USB connect can output. Is it 2A equivalent?
- Asked by Charles M from Minneapolis
- 17 May 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Any one know how much power the USB connect can output. Is it 2A equivalent?)
No. This adapter does not convert HDMI to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode.
This adapter takes an HDMI signal from a PC's USB-C port (probably using USB-C's HDMI Alt Mode or HDMI from DisplayPort dual mode from USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode). HDMI alt mode is limited to 4K 30 Hz.
Since HDMI Alt Mode requires three of the four USB-C Super Speed+ lanes, there are not enough lanes for USB 3.0 (two lanes: one for receive, and one for transmit), therefore this adapter only supports High Speed USB (USB 2.0). It's sad that Apple doesn't mention what speed of USB is supported by this adapter.
There are adapters that can convert HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 but HDMI 1.4 only allows 4K at 30 Hz. I'm not sure if the LG UltraFine 4K supports 4K at 30 Hz. Those adapters require a USB connection for extra power, but the Apple TV doesn't have any USB ports, so you'll need another USB source.
There might be new adapters coming later in 2018 that can convert HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2.
Then you can add a DisplayPort to USB-C cable to connect the adapter to the LG UltraFine 4K. However, the DisplayPort connection does not include USB, so any USB functions of the Display will not work (speakers, brightness control, USB ports). The display only supports USB 2.0, because all four USB-C Super Speed+ lanes are required for 4K at 60 Hz. Even if DisplayPort could pass USB (using the AUX lines), the HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter would not include USB.
The LG UltraFine 5K display can support 5K at 60 Hz and USB 3.0 because Thunderbolt uses the USB-C cable's lanes at twice the speed of USB 3.1 gen 2. However, the LK UltraFine 5K display requires a Thunderbolt 3 connection.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- 4 Jan 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Would this connect a 4th Gen Apple TV HDMI out to USB-C in on an LG UltraFine 4K display?)
Can the usb-c digital AV multi port adapter be used with an iPad.?
- Asked by Gustavo S from Baldwin Park
- 22 Mar 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the usb-c digital AV multi port adapter be used with an iPad.?)
Has anyone tried this adapter (or the similar VGA adapter) with an Android phone or tablet with USB-C connector?
I'd like to be able to have my Android phone being charged while having it connected to an external USB device that can't charge it (like an external disk or other peripheral). I realize that it's very unlikely that the video port could work, since that would require a specific driver in the phone/tablet, and I don't need that. But if this adapter could provide a standard USB port while allowing charging, that would be very useful.
- Asked by Michael G from Anaheim
- 5 Apr 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone tried this adapter (or the similar VGA adapter) with an Android phone or tablet with USB-C connector?)
can i connect a usb hub to the single usb port? what about connecting the belkin usb 3.0 hub which also has an ethernet connector?
- Asked by James M from Honolulu
- 16 Apr 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect a usb hub to the single usb port? what about connecting the belkin usb 3.0 hub which also has an ethernet connector?)
No answers yet
New MacBooks use only WiFi. Can the Apple USB-C Digital AVA Multiport Adapter handle Ethernet connections? If not, what are other options?
- Asked by Walter H from New York
- 24 Mar 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (New MacBooks use only WiFi. Can the Apple USB-C Digital AVA Multiport Adapter handle Ethernet connections? If not, what are other options?)
No answers yet
Can it support a USB splitter?
Given that this is the only way to connect to the new macbook, can you connect a splitter to this adapter? For example, my iTunes library is on an external USB drive. if i wanted to sync my iPhone, without using wifi sync, can i connect the USB drive AND the iPhone to this adapter via a splitter? for me this is a key answer for whether I can buy the new macbook or not
- Asked by Richard H
- 29 Mar 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it support a USB splitter?)
Does this adapter allow all three ports to be used at the same time?
In other words, if I were to purchase this adapter, would that allow me to, for example, charge an iphone and transfer from a thumb drive simultaneously?
- Asked by Lynda H from Salem
- 5 Apr 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter allow all three ports to be used at the same time?)
Would it work if i reverse it?
So i plug the male end of the adaptor to the USB-C charger i got with my macbook and then be able to plug a USB-C cable into the female port and plug a lightning cable into the USB port and be able to charge my iPhone and Macbook at the same time ?
- Asked by Adrian A from Caringbah
- 23 Sep 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Would it work if i reverse it?)
Does it support HDMI 2.0? I wan't to know if I can use a 60Hz refresh rate on an external monitor.
I have a macbook and bought the usb-c digital av multiport adaptor so i could attach an external monitor. I am looking to buy he monitor and am looking at a 4k (UHD) option but not sure about the best or compatible options.
- Asked by Jonathan W
- 6 Feb 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support HDMI 2.0? I wan't to know if I can use a 60Hz refresh rate on an external monitor.)
I'm fairly certain it's HDMI 1.4. I tried a 4K screen on the weekend and could not get the refresh rate higher than 30Hz. I was able to drive a Dell 27" at 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz. Those are the only two screens I've tried so far.
- Answered by Jason D from Yaroomba
- 15 May 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support HDMI 2.0? I wan't to know if I can use a 60Hz refresh rate on an external monitor.)
How many monitors can I connect to this connector?
Can I buy another one and connect two monitors? I'm planing to buy a Macbook to replace my MacBook Pro, and currently I'm supporting two monitors besides the laptop monitor.
- Asked by Cosmin I from Sequim
- 21 Dec 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How many monitors can I connect to this connector?)
is the USB port 2.0 or 3.0
- Asked by Chan D from Covington
- 7 Nov 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (is the USB port 2.0 or 3.0)