Yes you can since the iMac contains a Thunderbolt port. Note the following:
- Note that Thunderbolt ports are Mini Displayports as well.
- iMac 2011 21.5 inch Thunderbolt port is a: Thunderbolt 1 port (10 Gbps).
- The wire you're going to use is the Thunderbolt 2 cable (20 Gbps). It is compatible with Thunderbolt 1 connection, so don't worry about that part. You choose 0.5 m or 2.0 m (Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White). It's also male-to-male.
- This adapter you're currently ask about (Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter) will have a male end (USB-C) and female end (Thunderbolt 2). The male end (USB-C) will go towards the newer MacBook Pros (with the new Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports) and the female end will attach to the Thunderbolt 2 cable (male-to-male) to your iMac.
- Press Command-F2 once that's all set up.
- Answered by Michael Brock L from Barrie
- 7 Apr 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use iMac mid 2011 21.5 inch as a second display?)