Is it possible to connect the LED Cinema Display (Mini Display Port) to the 2016 MacBook Pro (TouchBar) using this adapter?
- Asked by fn
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to connect the LED Cinema Display (Mini Display Port) to the 2016 MacBook Pro (TouchBar) using this adapter?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
3 Answers from the Community
Apple Thunderbolt 2 display will most likely work via this adapter with 2016 MacBook Pros equipped with Thunderbolt 3. Apple LED Cinema displays will most likely not work with 2016 MacBook Pros using this adapter because of the Apple's disclaimer that this adapter only converts Thunderbolt signal, but not DisplayPort signals. However, you can get a male-to-male USB-C to DisplayPort cable and a female DisplayPort to male mini-Display Port adapter (make sure it mentions support of Displayport 1.2 in its discription) on Monoprice. That combination would most likely allow you to connect the Apple LED Cinema Display to the 2016 MacBook Pro (and to the 2015/2016 retina MacBook) via DisplayPort 1.2 over USB-C.
- Answered by Jesse S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. Source: apple support document HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter". It does not support Mini Displayport at all, only Thunderbolt devices.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Yes, you can connect the 2016 MacBook Pro to the Cinema Dusplay and to the Thunderbolt Display, using this adapter.
- Answered by Jesse S from Alpharetta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3